Thursday, October 28, 2004

Of Ghosts, Goblins, and Goddesses

Kamala looks forward to Halloween each year - loves the dress-up part of it, and of course all the loot. This year I'm going to be a Princess, she says.
So when she is off visiting dad, I search through costume stores and pick up the nicest princess costume I can find. Use it as a bribe to wake her up in the morning - if you're up early, we can try on the costume before you're off to school. She reluctantly wriggles out of the blanket. Then stops - "Amma, is this Sleeping Beauty?". Huh? When did she say Sleeping Beauty? "But I wanted to be Sleeping Beauty!".

In six-year old logic, this thought has somehow been picked up by Amma the superwoman and there's no need to say it.

"Kamala, I have a princess costume and its nice. You can call yourself Sleeping Beauty or anything you like but that's what you're getting to wear".

Ok, she relents. We take it out of the plastic bag. "Princess Aurora", it reads. Kamala is ecstatic "Amma, Princess Aurora is Sleeping Beauty! Yea, I got my costume!!"

Ah, my lucky day. We dance together and the day is all bright. At night, when she is off brushing her teeth after her million questions, I lock myself in the bathroom and splash water on my face. Peace at last - all quiet and I'm finally alone with my thoughts......Only for a minute. There are several knocks on the bathroom door. What now? The child rushes sobbing into my arms. Clings to my legs, hot tears seeping into my clothes.

"Kamala, what is it? Is your nose bleeding?" (Allergy season)
"No."
"Then?"

Lots of sobbing. "Amma, what if a ghost takes me away?"
A ghost - what on earth. "Why would it do that?"
"You know, Miss Katy in daycare today.....said that Jack O' Lanterns scare away the evil spirits.....(sob) What if some are in the house? We don't have a Jack O' Lantern and...."

I sit down and pull her into my lap. "Listen Kamala, there are no ghosts, ok? Its just a story people like to tell and..."
"What about goblins?"
"Nope"
"Monsters?"
"None. Who told you all this?"
"Miss Katy"
"Don't worry about them, its just a story, kanna"
"Well suppose they are real - what then?"

Six-year-old prevention logic. I smile to myself and use my most comforting voice:"Kamala, we say our prayers, don't we? Just say the Hanuman sloka and He will protect you."

"He will?"

"Sure He will. He will pick up the monster and throw it away. Like this!"
I pick up and fling a cushion as far as I can. This has the desired effect and Kamala is smiling now. She becomes Hanuman for a moment and flings a monster across the room. Smiles victoriously at the dead monster. And just a minute later comes this gem:

"Do I have to keep saying it or...you know, the monsters will get me?"

I take a deep breath and say "Kamala, there is God within you. God will protect you, so you don't worry."

She pauses as understanding dawns on her "Oh you mean, like you said I was your little Goddess in Navaratri?"

I smile and nod - yes Kamala, you are my goddess. Not just in Navaratri, but always.

"Amma, does a zombie walk with outstretched arms or arms straight down? And what's the difference between a zombie and a mummy anyway?"

Sigh. Its zombies and mummies now.....But she insists, and I explain to her. She is fascinated by the zombie concept; walks around with outstretched arms, and giggles. I try to reinforce that zombies are unreal too.

"But what if they're real?"

"Kamala, goddesses don't worry about such things. Monsters are afraid of goddesses and will never come near them, okay? Go to sleep, kanna."

I turn off the lights and we go to bed. Five minutes later, she climbs under my covers.

"Hold me amma, so the monster can't get me"

Geez, monsters again? "Hey Kamala - monsters don't get goddesses, you know that!"

"But I'm just a little goddess..."

Hmmmmm....Okay, then. The goddess rests her head on my shoulder as I wrap my arms around her. In a few minutes, she is fast asleep. All is quiet, there's a full moon in the sky and a goddess in my arms. This must be heaven.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

priya,

the concluding paragraph is just brilliant:-))))