Saturday, July 29, 2006

Tagged

Have been tagged by one of my blogger friends, Ardra. She says she wants to know more about me, which is very sweet of her - and very flattering to me :). So here goes:

I'm thinking about:
Swimming. I used to swim very often - many years ago, on a daily basis. Just looking into those blue waters for an hour gave me such a sense of peace, and after a good swim, I slept like a baby. All this was before I became a parent...Now my time needs a lot more juggling, and prior planning. I do want to take up active swimming at least twice a week, and God willing - hope to pull it off.

I said:
Nobody knows the depth of slime except the water it grows in - and those that have slipped on it. Sometimes pain and experience, more than superficial observation, are our best teachers.

I want to:
Cook like this blogger. Would be nice if I had the time, and more importantly, the patience :)

I also want to write - to my heart's content. Maybe I will publish one day - but I'm afraid that I may feel compelled to write to readers' tastes. To me, writing should come from the heart.

I wish:
That one day I will inherit my father's green thumb. Appa was an excellent gardener, a botanist - and specialized in agriculture and agricultural products. Many years ago, when we were children, I have seen him plant and tend to a vegetable garden. We grew snake gourd, eggplant (brinjal), okra, chillies, amaranth, tomatoes, carrots and some cabbage. Appa would tie a small stone to the end of the snake gourd, to make it grow straight and not curl up on itself. My hitherto brown thumb (i.e., ability to kill anything I planted) is on its way out. Some plants in my care have taken pity on me and decided against committing suicide. :-)

I hear:
Not much right now. The sway of trees in the breeze, and the sound of my typing.

I wonder:
Whether I'd have been a successful actress, had I chosen to pursue that line. I've had a passion for theater since childhood - and have imagined, pictured myself in, and enacted a variety of roles. As a child, whenever we heard stories from the Mahabharata, I was enchanted by Arjuna's archery, and Krishna's charm. A cousin and I used to make homemade bows and arrows (fashioned out of sticks purloined from the maid's coconut-bristle broomstick), and practice shooting arrows at each other. In each of these roles, I was the warrior, the swashbuckling hero/heroine, the brave queen. On stage I have played these roles, as also those of a cheat, a clever trickster, a merciless anti-heroine, even a clown. But never - and I mean never - did I even want to play a stupid weepy heroine who looked good but was a delicate darling otherwise. Too contemptuous of those roles :-).

I regret:
Not much - every experience has taught me something. I'm thankful to God for what I have.

I am:
Friendly, free spirited, conscientious, somewhat lazy, an avid reader, a decent singer. I need my space, and sometimes quiet time to myself - to recharge. I love: plants, trees, jasmine flowers, ancient temples, and natural settings. I dislike amusement parks and noisy manmade attractions.

I dance:
When I'm in the mood. Wish I was a better dancer :)

I sing:
When I feel like at home, sometimes on stage in local Karaoke events. Used to sing in my college's orchestra many years ago.

I cry:
Not often. Am a stiff upperlip kind of person - and most of my sadness either comes out as anger, or in my writings. I have cried a lot in my married years, though.

I'm not always:
Patient. I can lose patience with movies that drag, long-drawn things, whining/indecisive/pessimistic people.

I make with my hands:
Not much in terms of needlework or handicrafts. But I can whip up a decent meal, with my own twists to the recipe.

I write:
When I have something to say, and the space and time to say it.

I confuse:
Directions to places. Have trouble remembering how to get to a place I've been to just once. But two or three times does the trick.

I need:
Friendship - but one that gives me space.
Family - the presence of loved ones.
Exercise - a healthy dose of it everyday.
Books and reading materials.
Good food :-)

And finally:
Silence is wonderful, after penning those thoughts. May peace be on earth, may there be no wars - may we all one day live in harmony.

Now I'd like to tag some blogger friends, whom I want to know better: shpriya, willowtree, Shankari, aria, and vi.

21 comments:

Ardra said...

priyam!
thanks for doing the tag- and luvved going thru what u've written abt u'rself...very honest...
luv
ardra

aria said...

I wonder part was so cute .. abt your acting experiences ..
A riveting read as usual n it does reveal a bit more of you..
One of the things I could relate to - was "I confuse".. only that despite going to a place 2-3 times I keep getting lost :( its so annoying!
And so sweet of you to tag me when I was again in my writer's block wondering what to write after a smallish break.
Thanks Priya :)Will post soon ..

Shankari said...

O Priya Priya,(don't know where THAT popped into my head from :p)

Yes, this post was really so full of you- loved reading this. Wonder if I'd be able to do justice to the tag! Shall give it a shot right away!

Priya Sivan said...

Interesting :) Thanks for tagging me :) Ive done it :)

vi said...

Hi Priya
Nice to know more about you!
Hmm, as aria said, the tag is going to give me something to write about...will do...check back soon!

vi

vi said...

Done!

Willowtree said...

Hi Priya, thanks so much for tagging me. I enjoyed reading yours very much. I gave it my best shot. I hope I leave it up. I usually get chicken at things like that and take them down quickly, but this one, Ill try to leave up for a bit. hehe, thanks for getting me to write something again. My health hasnt been the best as of late, but Im confident it will soon pass.
Thanks again Priya!

ammani said...

Hi Priya,
About the swimming, did you used to swim at the SIET (later JBAS) swimming pool in Madras (later Chennai)?
Just wondering. Because I used to know someone who used to go there, regularly and who went by your name. Of course, please ignore my query if you think it's prying. In which case, sorry.

Priyamvada_K said...

Ardra,
Thanks for tagging me. Was fun to do the tag.

Aria, Shankari,
Thanks for the kind words. Waiting to read yours.

Shpriya, vi and willowtree,
Thanks for writing those posts. Made very interesting reading.

Ammani,
Nope. That wasn't me. I didn't know how to swim until I learnt it in the US.

Priya.

Anonymous said...

Priyamvada,
Did you study in Holy Cross, Trichy?93-96?
...Agila

Priyamvada_K said...

Agila,
Welcome! No, I didn't study in Holy Cross.

Nice that I remind people of someone they know :)

Priya.

Sideways Chica said...

Nice to learn a bit more about you Priya...

Ciao bella...hope you are well. ;)

RamaDrama said...

Hey Priya,
How u doin ? Entering blogworld after a long gap..how is ur daughter? I am sure she is doin great! I think the tags never do justice to the people..you wanna know more about..i guess the pieces from heart reveals more abt the person than any tag can..since when u wrie from heart u cant hide the true compassion and character!just my 2cents..

Vineela said...

Hi Priyamvada,
Thanks for linking me.
I have to go through all your previous posts.
Happy Blogging
Vineela

Priyamvada_K said...

Teri,
Thanks for coming by. I wanted to tag you in fact, but since you do one post weekly - decided its too much to ask that it be a tag post :).

Motorama,
I am SO glad to see you back :)!! Only this morning I was wondering what happened to you, and hoping all was well in your side of the world.

Kamala is doing well, thanks.

Its true that tags reveal only parts of a person - if that. Most tags are also lighthearted trivia kind, or so personal that people may try writing lighthearted stuff just to satisfy the tag.

Priya.

RamaDrama said...

Hey Priya,

Thanks for remembering.All's well here.Just a new,busy, change of workplace!

Since there is no email address in ur blog, here is my email:rama.drama@gmail.com.

Drop me a line when you get a chance!

Shankari said...

Done at long last! :)

El enigma said...

hey Priya...loved the part where you say writing should always come straight from the heart :)

enig

Anonymous said...

Hi Priya,

your blogs are so rich in spirit...am going thru some personal stuff and reading some of your blogs made me realise how much all of us humans have in common with respect to life and its multitude problems. Love your positive attitude...would love to be able to write to you...

Take care,
S

Priyamvada_K said...

Shankari,
Cool. Saw it and left a comment.

El enigma,
Glad you liked that part. Its one of the reasons I like your blog (the honest expressions).

S,
Thanks for the appreciation. Its nice to be able to connect with fellow humans, even if in a virtual medium. Hope all works out well at your end.

Priya.

Anonymous said...

I love your soulful words and thoughts. Dawn