I opened up the little lunch kit I take to work everyday. There was bagaLabhath - humble thayir saadam (yogurt rice), jazzed up with tempered black mustard, channa dal, curry leaves, and roasted curd-chillies. In a separate ziploc bag were two mini apple strudels. Hurriedly thrown together, but with an eye for taste - the ensemble seemed to say - the apple strudels were an afterthought!
Suddenly the apple strudels transformed into melt-in-the-mouth mysorepak; the thayir saadam came decorated with spicy roasted potatoes - roasted crisp with a coating of chickpea flour and tossed with fresh cilantro....Mmmmm, heavenly - as all imaginary lunches are.
Would be nice if I had my own personal genie ala Aladdin, who would pack delicious lunches for me everyday. Maybe this is why they have packs called "Lunchables" in the US - a ready made tray with sections - meat, bread, vegetables, fruit and such arranged in their own spot. There's probably a spot for dessert too....A working mother's guilt-free but expensive option.
To me the lunchables look neat, but have none of the character of the home-packed lunches. Ditto for the frozen Indian entrees available in the supermarkets. You heat, eat and forget. Fast, but impersonal. The home packed lunch is probably the last bastion in an industrialized world with quick fixes for everything, uniform cookie-cutter solutions, and standardized factory-generated tastes.
*-*-*
If packed lunches could speak, what would they say? Would each tiffin box convey to the viewer, the lunch packer's state of mind, along with the lunch eater's fortunes?
Let's say my lunch had neatly packed sections - rasam rice with vegetables in one; thayir saadam with tender mango pickle in the other; and a side dish of chilled fruit or payasam.... What would that arrangement say?
In my current state, I bet they'd say "Wishful thinking!" :). Either that, or they'd indicate a very patient and loving mother or wife(?!) at home, who shows her love this way.
I smile to myself. My mother is thousands of miles away. As for wife, my gender doesn't usually come with one ;). And rare is the husband who would pack his wife's lunch with such care and concern.
*-*-*
Back in the school days, I remember the group lunches, where a bunch of us would sit cross-legged under a tree, napkins on our lap, our packed lunches in front of us, carefully set down on another napkin. At one point there were eight or nine of us in a group. To start with, tiffin box lids would be passed around. Each person would put a spoonful of their food in the others' tiffin box lids - so we each got our very own sampler platter. Some tiffin boxes were always sought after, that status depending on where I went to school at the time. If this was south India, the chapatis with the masala curry would be much in demand. If north India, the idlis, dosais and sambar rice ruled the roost.
And each tiffin box, no matter where we were, told a story:
Idly/dosai/uppuma/puri - A double-purpose meal. Mom feeds kids breakfast, and packs the same for lunch.
Biriyani rice/tomato rice/variety rice: Mom's a fast cook, but takes care to provide a colorful tasty lunch. Easy to prepare variety rices, with a side of chips, look good. But mom should pack enough water - as these make one thirsty.
Chapati with kurma/masala: Mom's a super and fast cook. But in a hot place like Chennai, chapatis may make one feel hotter and more thirsty. A side of curds wouldn't be a bad idea - looks like north Indian mom missed that.
Bread and jam/thayir saadam: Mom believes in her child not going hungry, but either doesn't have the time or isn't quite imaginative enough. All of us, the bearers of bread-and-jam and thayir saadam - are testimony to that.....Especially if mom packs the same lunch day after day, or "creatively" alternates bread-and-jam with thayir saadam.
*-*-*
So it seems my tempered (as opposed to plain) yogurt rice told the following story: cook agrees that she hasn't got the time, so made thayir saadam. The tempering is for cook to console herself that she at least made an effort. The strudels were a further consolation, so that cook doesn't feel neglected.
A pretty accurate picture - for that day! I change my lunches everyday - and I bet each lunch would be a snapshot of the time, energy and enthusiasm I had on that particular day.
But humble thayir saadam or the exotic biriyani, I miss the group lunches back home, and the warmth that comes with such lunches. The companionship provided a nice break in the day to be human, and share with other humans, before getting back to whatever it was that one left off.
Here I mostly eat at my desk, working as I eat to make time for home and family in the evening. I do take some afternoon lunches with colleagues, and we go out to restaurants - but its not the same. We end up discussing work, then getting back to it. In a line of work where men heavily outnumber women, that's probably the safest way to go, to keep it professional.
Maybe what I need is a genie to pack my lunch, and talk to me when I eat....Tell me exotic stories of faraway lands, peopled with interesting creatures. We'd talk, laugh and share a camaraderie, if only at mealtimes. No danger of unwanted romantic attention - no such messes. A simple human-to-human...er, genie-to-human friendship that'd give me that energy boost during the day, both from the food and from the conversation.
Now all I need to do is take a walk along the beach and discover my magic bottle :-).
27 comments:
I think we live in different times zones- will you share your genie with me? I promise to have the genie back by your lunch time!
Ahh, I don't even bother with lunch these days, but what a great thing it would be if I did.
There is a blog called vegan lunch box, and the woman who runs it takes a photo of each lunch she packs for her child each day.
Sometimes I wonder if she is secretly donning a superwoman cape or a pair of wings or perhaps has that lunch genie already or something.
This is going to be a long comment.
If packed lunches could speak, what would they say?
I bet my lunch box used to say "Oh no, not Again" (It used to because these days I've stopped cooking altogether).
Let's say my lunch had neatly packed sections
Reminds me of the Udupi in the town I grew up in. They used to have "carrier" as one of the lunch menu options, and they packed in sambhar, rasam, thayir, curry, and pickle neatly in 3/4 deck carrier. Not to forget appalam in a separate plastic bag.
loving mother or wife(?!) at home, who shows her love this way.
she never once missed preparing food for us. she worked full time, had to travel 45 mins everyday in a bus to get to her office. I often wonder how I managed to inherit her genes and still be as lazy as I am :-). To top it all of she was a great cook. I once made her give me only aviyal, a carrier full of aviyal, nothing else - my happiest lunch ever :-).
As for school lunches, I remember eating under a tree, making fun of friends/teachers, generally having a great time. Gone are the days of good conversation + great food. :-(. These days I go to a restaurant, get a to-go lunch, come back stare at my monitor and eat.
***
This comment could have been much longer but now I'm hungry for some adai aviyal. The Udupi near my place thanks you :-).
she never once missed preparing
should have been
my mom never once missed preparing food for us.
Hi Priya -
Came to see how you were doing. Nice post on packed lunches. Brings back memories. :) Where I live hardly anyone brings packed lunches to work. We eat out.
Anyway, hope you are well.
Take Care
My dad had green fingers too. Have not inherited it. But I am working hard at getting my plants to listen ... slowly but surely ...
Exactly my thoughts...:)
nicely put!
I darn have a sub everyday...thats because I don't have a kid or husband to catter to :)
vi
Hi priya, My two sisters and I had to stay with our grandmother who ws about 65 yrs old. Each day opening the lunch was an experience. she packed strange lunches for us, thohayal rice with a segment of orange, potato rice with a few soggy vetthals (in the same box), puran poli with a little tub of ghee. very very wierd but bursting with love, she was as inventive as her age would allow. Both me and my fiends remember it with nostalgia.
Neat post Priya. I pack lunch for my li'l one everyday, and she insists I pack something new and different everyday. Ditto for Man of the House. The brat demands a snack and a dessert [thankfully MOH does not care about either a snack or a dessert along with his main course]...I have to use my brains to vary the offerings.
Will have to keep a journal about my lunch creations so I know what kind of a wife/mother I am :)
Meanwhile, enjoy the thayir sadam and the apple strudel trying to pass off as a mysore pak.
Ms. Maggi
Willowtree,
Would be happy to share my genie, and if you come by my area - my food too :). I did look at vegan lunch box. I admire her for the variety she gives, despite the vegan restrictions.
Swami,
Your mom sounds like a fabulous cook and person, too. I love avial - nice part is I can make it too. Ask your local Udupi to send me my commission pronto :)
Pria,
Always glad to see you. Nice of you to drop by. You must've been through this phase - one has to keep one's humor and try to be normal. Some days its very hard. In fact, every thought I have of a timeframe, I'd automatically think "Appa was alive at that time". Its subconscious.
Vi,
Thanks for stopping by. A sub? Daily? Come south when Canada gets too cold and I'll make you some hot idlis.
Anon,
Your grandma sounds very sweet - her tastes maybe peculiar but the love comes through. Give me puran poli with a tub of ghee anyday! :) To have the patience to sit and make that at her age is remarkable.
Ms.Maggi,
Its a pleasure to pack lunch for others (if one has the time of course). The actual cooking/packing is not as hard as choosing what to make or pack. A journal will be a nice thing to look at at a later date! Thanks for stopping by.
Priya.
Thanks Priyam...
I just might take you up on it...but I don't ever want to go south :) even if its cold here :)
Hi Priya,
Enjoyed your post like all other. My Amma is with us now after my father's death. And though, most of the times, we invariably end up looking at old photographs that had my father in it or talk about the 'good old times'....the best part of having her with me is experiencing the sweet way in which she has (unconsciously & joyously) started packing my lunch-box all over agian, after almost a decade!! Just today, I was telling my colleagues at work about how i don't even bother to enquire about what goes into the lunch-box each day....She diligently and caringly packs both my husband's and my lunch boxes with all the little tasty surprises and nutrients intact. It would have all the delicious home-made Saadams and Aviyals and Poriyals and Chutneys in it, along with a distinct section each for the pappads, the pickles and the salads!
It really is like going back to my good old school days of proudly owning a lovingly packed lunch-box.
Got me thinking...
Hi Priya
Came here through Shankari's blog.Am happy I came.
My mom was an excellent cook and everybody at school relished my tiffin.I wish I had her passion for cooking...though am slowly getting into the cooking-with-heart-mode.
The tiffin interpretations are so true...I see them evryday in my class.
Very good post.
"Lunch Boxes" talking ? WOW! You should patent it before Pixar guys make a movie out of it!Nostalgic read!
Your post reminds me of the book called "Future Shock" by Alvin Toffler. It talks about how when the rate of change is faster than the rate of adjustment, you get a "Future Shock" and how this generation do not have the permanency that our generation partially enjoyed.Hopefully we can give the current generation something that they can remember with nostalgia instead of being swept by changes all the time!
Gawd, your 'bread 'n jam/thayir saadam' analysis was like SPOT ON!!! I loved this post! :)
Hi Priyamvada,
Nice to read your tales from a tiffin box.
Vineela
Gayathri,
Some things - like mom packed lunch boxes - are precious, aren't they? Enjoy yours!
Shankari,
Saw your latest post. Loved the link to the blog with lunch ideas.
Moodsandcolors,
Welcome! I hear you on developing the passion for cooking. Writing this blog has made me rethink the lunches I pack for my daughter.
Motorama,
"Hopefully we can give the current generation something that they can remember with nostalgia instead of being swept by changes all the time!"
Very true. The greatest gift we can give our children is time. Once thats there, we can give them things to remember and feel nostalgic about.
wishfulthinker,
Welcome! Thanks for the appreciation.
Vineela,
Thanks for the kind words. Wish I can cook like you :)
Priya.
Nice thoughts very beautifully scribed. Got me thinking of all the lunches mum packed for me, and how i stopped carrying lunch thinking i had grown up and that it was uncool to carry lunch any longer. Hmm...this post has me thinking of so many things...some interesting things to scribe about :-)
always,
I sometimes think a true sign of growing up is wanting to be a kid again in some aspects :-)
Mom/dad packed lunches are priceless!
Priya.
Hi Priya,
What a delightful post! It made me remember how hard my mother tried to please me with those packed lunches, and now that I'm blessed with a child who is even fussier about food than I was, I appreciate just how much effort she put into it. I just love the idea of imagining what our lunches would say, and really, they do say a lot about the person who packed them and his/her relationship to the recipient.
Food for thought, definitely!
Hugs,
Betty
Ah, sweet post. I sometimes pack my husband's lunch. I remember my tartan plaid metal lunch box when I was a kid. It held a peanut butter sandwich, a snack pack of those creme filled cookies and a little bottle of orange juice. I hated that lunch, but I ate it because my mother packed it with love and I was taught not to waste.
Opps. the name is dawn from the comment above
Betty,
Thanks for the kind comment. I hear you on kids and picky eating. Am still trying to come up with creative lunches for my daughter. One day I made her a fresh-strawberry-on-strawberry-flavored-cream cheese sandwich. Was pleased by my own creativity. But she came back and said "Amma - if you want to try something new for lunch, experiment on a weekend, see if I like it and then pack it for lunch". Guess I'll put that down as a disaster :-)
Dawn,
Thanks for the appreciation. I hear you on not wasting. Was taught the same.
You have a beautiful and interesting website!
Priya.
hi,
atleast twice a week, i need to have thayir saadham for lunch. with the friendly pickle and some chips to go along ofcourse.
nowdays though i have become more picky. if i pack the saadham in the morning, the thayir gets absorbed into the rice and the mixture loses the consistency. so i bring both the ingredients separately and mix them. purrfectomundo :)
re the genie, use the genie for getting better things in life (like an oil well or gold coins). you can always hire a cook to prep your thayirsaadham. :)
sharing group lunches must be a girl thing. we guys never did this. and most of them had thayirsaadham anyway :(
my wife developed a taste for fish from her group. incidentally her palghat iyer sappadu was a hit with her non veggie friends. and she took to eating boiled eggs, fish, prawns and other non veg stuff :) this must be true education :) cheers :)
Chanced upon your space, during blogo-surfing.
Just dropped in to say a few lines: Nice to read you. Will keep coming. :)
Phantom,
Welcome! So you are a thayirsadam fan? Good. Its always the comfort food - easy to make too! LOL at "use the genie to get gold coins/oil wells". Nice idea, why didn't I think of that?
The lyrical sa,
Welcome! Glad you liked my post. Do come by - I write when I feel like but usually haven't gone longer than a month without posting.
Priya.
What about those people who are so so super duper busy they can't get more craetive than the frozen lunchies...
sinusoidally,
I hear you, and you have my sympathies. Have been there myself.
Priya.
Post a Comment