Dedicated to Shammi whose blog and culinary expertise I greatly admire. It seems that Shammi has become disgusted with the sweet potato as a vegetable, after some experimentation. So I decided - its time to give back to someone whose blog I've often drooled at when hungry :). Shammi, here goes:
Ingredients:
Potatoes - 2 large ones
Sweet potato - 1
Onion - one large red onion, chopped
Tomatoes - 3 whole peeled tomatoes (I took them from a can with juice), chopped
Garlic - two cloves, minced
Asafoetida - a pinch
Mint leaves - a few (or alternatively use chopped cilantro)
Sambar powder - 1 and a half tsp
Salt - as per taste
Turmeric powder - half tsp
Mustard seeds - half tsp
urad dal - 1 tsp
Oil (for seasoning)
Method:
Pressure cook the potatoes and sweet potato. If you cut the sweet potato the same size as the potatoes before cooking, the sweet potato turns mushy - which is ok, tastes fine and acts as a mystery orange gravy ;). If you don't like mystery gravies, cut the sweet potato somewhat bigger. When cooked, peel, and chop them into cubes. Mash a few pieces, to make the curry thicker.
In a pan, add about 2 tbsp oil and when it heats up, add the asafoetida powder and mustard seeds. Wait for the mustard to splutter. Add the urad dal and stir till it turns golden brown. Then add the garlic, toss for about 1 minute. Add the chopped onion, and saute till the onion becomes light brown. Then add the sambar powder, stir for a couple of minutes. Add tomatoes and about 1 cup of water. Allow the water to boil. Now add the potato-sweet potato combo, the salt and the turmeric. Allow everything to cook for some 15 minutes on medium heat (make sure there's enough water to make a thick curry). Finally, tear up some mint leaves, add to the curry, and turn off the stove. Normally I'd add cilantro (coriander leaves) but that day I got experimental and the mint leaves added a nice touch. Taste the curry and see, and if necessary, add some jaggery and a few tsps of milk to balance the tastes.
I'm no foodie blog expert, so no pictures :). But this recipe has been appreciated, and relished, so I'll share it.
22 comments:
Mashed sweetpotatoes and jaggery combo is yummy :) btw where is your tag post?
hey priya
came across this as I've been following shammi's tuber adventures. The potato-sweet potato-sambar combo sounds very intriguing. I am really tempted to try it now. I do wish you had posted a picture though. :) @ the mystery gravy.
shpriya,
Sorry - posted it and then took it off. Thing is, its hard for me to post a simple list of that I want in a partner. The list I had posted for a brief 1 hour was too detailed and personal to post on WWW :). So I took it off. Didn't want to post a superficial list either, just for the sake of a tag. Sorry for the mixup.
Priya.
Bilbo - the dish is not sambar as it doesn't have tamarind or dal in it. The "mystery gravy" actually tastes pretty good.
Priya.
Priya,
I missed the tag blog... :( I think the whole point of the tag is to know u more... :) it can be fun or it can be real... if you dont want to post the real one - do a fun one! Like the one with pics by Vi!!!! :)))
I am inspired to put that down too.. let me do that soon...
:) Now, me wants to try this recipe.. will let you know how it turned out!
Take care and Thanks.
LnRnHnM,
Dooks
Thanks Dookie. Tag post is now up at:
http://priyamanaval.blogspot.com/2006/01/tagged-perfect-lover.html
Priya.
Priya, thks for putting up the post. When Aria tagged me, I also felt what's there in it that I can write. But i felt that it is a sort of challenge to touch any topic for a blog :) wasnt it interesting? :)) thks to Dooka too. Dooka, I am waiting to read urs :))
oops, previous comment is for the tag post. :)
Masala and chutney just instantly set off the tastebuds I think. I read 'masala' and instantly thought about Indian foodm, which i already have at least twice a week.
one my observations is that when thalichufying i.e. mustards and urad daal left in oil to be heated, the mustard bursts pretty much the same time as when ural daal turn golden brown :) check it out!
yeh....keep ur word...and 'share ' it...:-)
Time to send my address to u..dont u think:P
Shpriya - thanks. Me too waiting for Dooka's post!
Box - true about setting tastebuds off. Which is why I visit foodie blogsites when I'm hungry :))
Bharath - thanks for that timesaving tip. Will try it out pronto.
Gingko - time to send your address...ah! You're going to cook me a meal. How nice of you :). Sure buddy - send me your address!
Priya.
Thank YOU, Priyamvada :) I promise to try this one!
Wow, so your blog is about more tha just food for thought... :)
Shammi,
You're most welcome - anytime :)!
Tamizhan,
Food and thought go hand in hand :). Am a foodie, who enjoys cooking/feeding people.
Priya.
now now...thts dangerous to let this thought train to continue ....:-)
I meant abt u cooking..and sending it over:)
Hence the address....
if u wanna hand it over personally..now wud I complain:D
Gingko - can't parcel, buddy :). Come on over, and we'll be happy to share a meal.
Priya.
Priya!
Guess what? I tried this and it was goood. We had this with hot chappathis one day and with rice the next day. S loved it and we call it 'Mystery Sambhar'.
Thanks for sharing. I did want to take a snap but somehow that slipped my mind!
Thanks again and do share more.
Love,
Dooks
So happy you visited my blog and led me here. I tried the recipe the first night. Yummy!
Dooks,
Very happy to know it turned out well. I like the Mystery Sambhar name :)
Patry,
Welcome! Glad you liked the recipe.
Priya.
The sweet potato is done and out and the vessel is drying:)
what next...
Gingko - so sweet! Feels good to know I have pals like this who'll try my recipes.
Here are two more recipes for you:
Potatoes with beet greens
and
Banana nut bread
Let me know how that turns out.
Priya.
Post a Comment