Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Coming of Age*

Its the pangs one feels every now and then. A listless feeling of being lost, wondering why I'm living where I am, whether living in a different continent, far from my birth family was the right thing to do. A sense that I've been a perpetual student and traveler, living in some far off place - to come home for vacation to load up on food and affection. The nomad of the family....am I?

A while back, I had a dream - of Appa seeing me off at the railway station, saying "Study well and ace your exams!". There I was, saree clad, waving goodbye to him. In that dream, I find myself saying - "Appa, this is what you've been saying to me since I was 17....And I've been journeying ever since. Would there ever be a time I'll come back home?". There's a catch in my throat, as the train starts to leave. Appa is smiling and waving, ever the reassuring father. Ever the gentle force in my life who masks his own pain and reaches out to others. Is there any wonder that no man can ever match up to dad in a woman's life?

Last year, on a particularly tired day I wondered how it would be to go home. To have that place I call "home" nearby, where I can visit and put my feet up.

Felt once again torn at choosing to live thousands of miles away from home. Felt guilty. Wondered what'll happen, where my "home" will be if my parents were no longer around. Got depressed wondering if I was doing the right thing, living so far away.

Then out of the blue came the answer: Create your own home!

The answer stunned me in its simplicity, and something clicked into place. The inner voice said "create in your corner of the world - a place you can call yours, and make it into a haven for those that frequent it".

I don't know what to call it - the subconscious speaking, guidance from a higher power.....but that helped me. Now I'm trying to create my own space. I think about all that my mother did to create her home. Have resigned myself to the fact that my home will never be as neat or as organized as Amma's. Amma is a neat freak. Maybe that's why organization and I don't get along too much, though a friend recently pointed out (to my delight) that there's an organization to my disorganization. He explained that I have a general area where everything goes, though things may not have individual slots :)

Hallelujah to that. True and complete organization won't be a factor in my home creation. But there are other ways I try to make my apartment a home. Cooking, for instance.

I have a medley of recipes, many gleaned from observation and improvised to suit my taste. Most of these are Amma's recipes that I can cook almost on autopilot. Then there are those recipes from friends, and blogsites I frequent. A few others are my inventions.

Coming home to the aroma of a homecooked meal is an experience I value. And recreating this feeling has surprisingly become the path to 'adulthood' for me.

Kamala, loyal audience that she is, seems to be satisfied with my cooking. Then there is Mark. Occasionally I make something for a neighbor, or a colleague who has helped me from time to time, giving advice on anything from dating to parenthood. My Texan neighbor doesn't remember the names of the dishes, but she can describe them pretty well - which makes me feel good. The colleague is a harried mother of three, and cooking for her is my way of helping her and saying thanks. She and her children seem to like what I make, which is a bonus.

There are a few others nice enough to sample my meal and proclaim it to be good. Like a good buddy who came over for Thanksgiving a year ago, to a hot meal prepared especially for him. I was so glad to have someone catch a plane to come see me that I took extra efforts in the kitchen. I made him some banana bread, packing a loaf to take with him at the end of the visit. I remember smiling happily while doing this - there was an almost maternal feeling in that action. I am thankful to him for giving me that moment.

So....I've finally become 'adult', or something like it. But I still get homesick. I still want to sit down once in a while and cry like Rani Mukherjee did in Bunty aur Babli - a honest-to-gosh open-mouthed wail of "Mummmmeeeeee".

Then I remember that this is home too.
-------
*Post inspired by Whirling Betty's blog "growing up"

17 comments:

Shankari said...

Crying it out is good girl! As long as it is 'organised'. :p

Having had a mother who was wasn't much into cooking (tho' we ALWAYS had good hot meals), I follow the matrilineal gene- cooking does NOT make a home (or growing up) for me. I envy you the joy and satisfaction you get from cooking n feeding- its powerful!

So what makes me 'age'? I guess its the responsibility- mine as well as that of all those around me- be it my own parents too. I do miss at times the time I was allowed to be the irresponsible one- being the youngest of three- but one copes and one comes of age! :)

B.S. said...

Priya, I can see how easy it would be for you to be torn, wondering if you "should" move back home. And your answer to yourself is so right. I have a tendency to move from place to place even within the city I'm in, as if I can find where I belong instead of creating where I belong.

That wailing cry you described- I did that just tonight. The anniversary of my mother's death is Friday, and I was crying for her. I guess I have felt particularly homeless without her. I am going to focus on your message from out of the blue and see if I can, like you, create another home. Thank you for your consoling, helpful words.

Priya Sivan said...

Priya, nostalgic? Creating our own home is the best choice. This realisation dawns only as we "grow" up :)

BZ said...

Oh Priya,
Such a lovely post!!
Totally agree.

I keep saying, I want to go home, and I want Daddy and I want to be with Mommy, only to realize, your own place, is going to be someone' 'home', your kids. He/she is going to grow up, to think, of 'this' home.

So sweet.

Ardra said...

I was going to say something- on the lines of what sharanya said - just as for u home is the place of u'r mother's cooking- and that parental afection, so also today you're creating that haven for K...it is this very place that she might seek in her memories- in her adulthood-

Hope you find peace and solace in this haven of yours that you're creating...
love
ardra

Arthi said...

That was a lovely post. I've read most of your posts, can relate to a few, but love them all. I think food is one of the easiest and best ways to create memories for yourselves and your loved ones.
The day my 21 month old smacked her lips and said niceee, I knew I had arrived !! I called my mom and shared my happiness and cried..ammaa, I miss you...

Priyamvada_K said...

Shankari - so nice to see you here. I hear you about being young and irresponsible. Take time out to do that once in a while, and let the child in you come out and play.

Betty - it was heartrending to read about your mother. Hugs to you...hang in there!

shpriya - very true. I guess in the case of bachelors or sort-of bachelors like me, the sense of "home", "social identity" and things like that can get nebulous at times:(.

Saranya - good point. Its good to focus on one's own kid(s) and see how one can create a haven where they can be free to be themselves, with no stress. Thanks.

Ardra - thank you. I'm finding peace at home, and among friends - in the real and virtual world :)

Arthi - welcome! That compliment from your 21 month old must've felt SO good, better than any trophy! So sweet.

Priya.

vi said...

Priya...yes somethings strike us as profound...when they come at the right time...I hear ya about being "nomad"...Btw, Mark seems like a great guy :)

"Mark"'s generally are...from experience :)

vi

Priyamvada_K said...

vi - True. Sometimes we are presented with solutions from out of the blue. Makes me believe all the more that someone's guiding our soul through its journey.

Yes, Mark's a great guy! I'm glad to be around such wonderful people.

Priya.

Shammi said...

As long as I lived in India, with my mother, I didnt take to cooking at all - "home" was defined by my mother's cooking and yes, being pampered by her. Now that I'm grown-up and married and living away, I find I have a strong need to be in the kitchen. I see it as trying to recreate the feelings and flavours of home.

I like cooking for others, but dislike the fuss of "formal" meals for people I dont know well - all the dressing up, setting places, "best" crockery, fussing over party food... that is exhausting and annoying. But to have a few close friends or family over for an informal fun get-together - that's what defines "home" for me now. I'm not a mother nor overly "motherly" but I do like cooking for friends :)

Priyamvada_K said...

shammi - nice to see you here. I too dislike cooking for or organizing parties. A small get together of close friends is nice - both for the food, and the conversation.

One thing I enjoy is cooking with one or more friends. That can be a lot of fun.

Priya.

Anonymous said...

Hi Priya,

Have been following ur writing for sometime now, really enjoy them.

In some of your earlier posts, you mention of a Mr P... I was really so happy for you that you found true love. Is this relationship no more..

Please ignore this question if it is something you are not comfortable answering, I would totally understand.I only ask because I was concerned for you.

about me: am a south Indian married working mother of a 2 yr old somewhere in the eastern part of US!
take care
P

Divya said...

Oye priya!

Dooks : I am missing home :(
S : which home? Home home(meaning bangalore) or future home (meaning where he lived) or home (where I lived before we got married) ???

Gosh! That kinda made me think.. i actually had 3 homes! (now 2!)... and am I lucky! :)

Take care.
LnRnHnM,
Dooks

Willowtree said...

Hmm, I felt the part where you said you made bannana bread for your friend, and wrapped a loaf to send home with him.
That is something my mother would always do. No matter who came into our home, they would not leave empty handed.
Preaparing food, and sharing it was my mother's way of saying "I Love You."
I chuckle to find myself doing the same thing these days.

Priyamvada_K said...

Anon: You're so kind. Must be a challenge raising a 2 year old and working. Enjoy the little cutie :)

Dooks: 3 homes - good for you girl!

Willowtree: Isn't that gesture so "maternal" :)? Its a nurturing one, so I guess we associate that with mothers. Yes, cooking is a form of showing love for me.

Priya.

RamaDrama said...

Home..feeling home..making home..is a constant irritant in every immigrant's mind..when i wrote the blog immigrant vacuum..one of the person who commented in my old blog suggested a book called
Refrigerator Rights.I bought the book and it has given me more clarity...i know now..the more refrigerator friends u have, the less you feel lost! From your stories of feeding the neighbourhood(damn..why dont i find such people in my community), i think you are already there :)

Priyamvada_K said...

Motorama - thanks for pointing me to your very well-written blog. I looked through the blurb of Refirgerator rights. Made me think about what binds people as a community. Dropped by to see a sick neighbor yesterday - didn't know what to take, as he's diabetic. As we chatted, he mentioned drinking orange juice when his sugar level drops. So now bulb has turned on in my head....let me see what I can do about it :).

Giving people refrigerator rights does enrich our life. Thank you for pointing me to that book.

Priya.