Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Who's The Boss?

I don't know exactly when the word "boss" entered my daughter's vocabulary. But she sure did surprise me a couple of months ago when she stood, arms akimbo, and declared "You are not the boss of me!" when I asked her to do something.

It would've been funny if wasn't frustrating. That was the day to do a million things, and in a rush of impatience, I had replied "Yes I am and you're doing exactly what I asked you to do, Missy.....Now, you have a choice of doing it on your own, or prepare to go into timeout until you do it!"

My tone must've been menacing enough, so she complied (with a pout and a sulk). I didn't quite like the way I'd handled that, but some days are just rushed. I chewed it some in my mind, and then chucked it away.

Another day when she declared I wasn't her "Boss" I had more patience. I explained that I was not her boss, but her caretaker. God had put me on this earth to take care of her, and if I didn't then I'm not being a good mom. And until she grows up and finishes college it is my job to take care of her. And that sometimes involves making her do 'unpleasant' things like dance practice and homework.

The boss word haunted me longer this time, though it had lost some of its shock value. I wondered where she had picked this up. Perhaps "boss" is the shock word in vogue among seven year old school kids, and she had simply decided to try it on me. I speculated idly which kid might have introduced Kamala to this word, running in my mind the bouncier, more rebellious ones in her class. And fell asleep without coming to any conclusion.

*-*-*

A month later, I was talking to Sri, my Mr.P's daughter. Sri's mother hasn't been in her life for the last four years, a matter of much perplexity and sadness to Sri. As a result, the intensely shy and sensitive Sri took her time warming up to people. After two years of knowing her, she was finally opening up to me.

I confided how much I missed Kamala, and she talked to me of how she thought of her mother and almost cried in school. We made a deal that she could call me anytime she missed mom, and I would do the same when I missed Kamala. And we've been doing this for a while. This time, she had a proposition for me.

"Why don't you come stay with us?", she said. "You can play with me."
"I'd love to, child. But I have to finish up a lot at work, so I can't take time off"
"You can bring your work with you!"

Hmmmm - that's an idea Mr.P and I had been discussing for a while. I'm sure he wouldn't have told Sri, so she must've come up with this on her own.

"Do you really want me to come there?"
"Yeah....I wish you could come right now!"
"Okay" I relented. "Maybe for a week I can do that"
"No...not for a week. Come and stay here for two months - maybe a whole year!"

I was touched by her generous offer.

"That's nice of you to say, but I can't do that dear"
"Why not?"
"People at my work won't allow that you know.."
"Well, they are not the boss of you!!"

WHAT?! I couldn't control my laughter.

"Of course they are, Sri. They give me my paycheck, so they're the boss"
"No they're not. Only God is the boss of you" she declares emphatically.

Right.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good One as always :-)

Enakku ennamo boss appadina pazhaya MGR padathula vara mottai boss dhaan nyabagathukku varadhu :-D

Ram said...

good 1 - cant imagine how life'd be if it were that simple! :)

The Box said...

My cousin's 7-year-old daughter has taken to saying the phrase "Oh Mom, don't be so superficial!"

Example:

Cousin: Do you want to wear your blue dress?
Daughter: Oh mom, don't be so superficial!

or

Cousin: Go ask your father.
Daughter: Oh mom, don't be so superficial!

She ends all this with a giggle which only frustrates my cousin further. Meanwhile, she's forced to tape Desperate Housewives, eliminating what was a much-loved joint activity with the husband.

Anonymous said...

New to your blog, I loved this post. :)

Prince

Priyamvada_K said...

Thanks Minimal Ego, and Prince. Glad you liked it.

Ferrari - :). Actually after I heard Sri talk about God being the boss, I'm reminded of Rajni's "oruvan oruvan mudhalaaLi.." :D

The Box - LOL@cousin's daughter. That must've been frustrating for the cousin :). Btw, I think I found the source of the phrase mentioned in my blog. Seems to be Spongebob Squarepants, who's a big hit with elementary schoolers.

Priya.

Arpana Sanjay said...

OMG...that was so darling!!
Kammo is one amazing kid!!

I can only imagine what will happen to the wH if she becomes the Prez and Sri becomes the Vice Prez....wow...tres interesting!!

You do such a great job choco!!

Vivek Sharma said...

:) life is beautiful...isn't it!
I wish I was a kid again!

Tony J. said...

my students' parents are always jokingly alarmed about the things their kids pick up from older children in our class. it's amazing, isn't it, what they latch onto. but then i think, when i eaves drop on their little/enormous conversations about god, love, family, and friendship that what they learn from one another is so miraculous i would never want to censor it, really. i mean, obviously there are always kids who know far more than they need to...but on the whole, i think it's rather wonderful--the way they take in the world and translate it into 7 or 6 or 5 year old eyes.

Visithra said...

The things kids say - sometimes u wonder is god feeding them little titbits of greatnest and laughing away? ;p

Ginkgo said...

yeh....sigh

I remember getting a good spankin when I said, podi to my moms younger sis during one of her visits when I was a kid.

I still call her that..but this time itz a bit diff.
The last time I was in India, I called her that before her 3 yr old kid and it started crying..
rofl...thinking someone was scolding his mom.