Thursday, June 02, 2005

Love story, sixties style

The story is set in the late sixties, and is about G, a beautiful young woman at the time. She was often mistaken for B.Saroja Devi, a leading movie star in those days.

Lady G grew up in a small town in Tamil Nadu, youngest in a traditional orthodox family. Walked to school each day with cousins et al, keeping strictly to themselves. In those days men didn't talk to women unless related by blood, and even then some restrictions were imposed. Free conversation even with cousins of the opposite sex was frowned upon. G wore long sleeved blouses and traditional half-sarees, and walked everywhere with her head bowed, as was the rule for good girls from respectable families.

One fine day, when G was in the last year of high school, a young collegian approaches her and hands her a letter. She opens it, her hands tremble as she reads the contents. She comes home quietly and hands the letter to her brother, a respectable businessman in the city.

In the letter, R, the young man, had introduced himself, said he came from so and so family, professed his undying love for her, and asked her if she would marry him. Confessed that he had been observing her for a couple of years and was smitten by her.

Brother summons R the next day, asks if this was true. R, the braveheart, said it indeed was - that he thought very highly of G, and was keen to marry her. Brother says R is too young, hasn't even finished college nor has a job. Advises R to leave G alone, and if he wants, broach the matter to him in a few years when R is more settled. Meanwhile, no approaching G on the streets or anywhere else. Brother is quite authoritative, so R has no choice but to agree.

Lady G herself is quite rattled, coming from a home where women were strictly indoors, and even married women didn't come out and greet male guests, unless they were far senior in age. She hadn't set eyes on R until the day he handed her the letter, and doesn't know what to make of this incident.

*-*-*

Years pass. Lady G's mother is bedridden, and wants to get G married. So they look at horoscope matches, and G ends up marrying K, a handsome, softspoken, cultured man. She is quite happy with K, even if his job involved frequent transfers and they had to move from place to place. K traveled frequently on his job, but made sure G was well-provided for, and had enough family and friends nearby for emergencies. G was comfortable with K, even mentioned R once to him, and they had laughed about it together.

K was a friendly kind of person, and stayed in touch with many of his classmates through the years. If his travels took him to a city where a friend resided, K would call on the friend with gifts for the friend, and his mother/child as appropriate. When one of his travels took him to Chennai (then Madras), K decides to look up his friend and former college roommate B.

Perhaps I can spend the night at his place, and we can rehash the old times, thought K.

As B didn't have a phone, K takes a taxi and goes straight to B's small apartment....only to be greeted by B's current roommate, who informs him that B was out of town. Seeing K's disappointment, roommate offers coffee and refreshments, and K and he settle down for a chat.

K talks about his wife and infant child, and mentions how difficult it is to be away from them. Also talks about the fun times he had with B in the college days. Asks the gentleman about what he's doing, and where he's from. When he mentions it, K says:

"Ah. My wife is also from there. Where in the town?"
"Oh....my father is a doctor, quite well known. We live on X street"
"Ah. So...people must be looking to get you married. Isn't it difficult to be alone?"

Gentleman sighs.

"What to do, sir? They are looking - but I'm not interested....Its a long story. Sigh! I was interested in this girl. Her family wasn't too keen, but asked to approach them when I was more settled. But as luck would have it, by the time I was settled, some blighter from another town came and married her!"

"I see"

"I've not been able to get her out of my mind. She is quite a stunner you know - this G"

"I know....I mean - I can understand your feelings"

They talk some generalities, and then K, the blighter from another town takes leave of poor heartbroken R.

*-*-*

Nothing is heard of R afterwards, but sometimes I'm curious about him. Wonder what he must've felt, gone through. Whether I know him or not, he is part of family lore.....you see, I am G and K's daughter :-)

10 comments:

Saroja said...

Wow Priya,that's some story.Sounds like a film almost.
Have an aunt with a similar story.Her kids always wonder where they'd be if her R had gotten her.:)
ps:Your mum looked like Saroja Devi?Cool.

Arpana Sanjay said...

Awww Choco, that was a lovely story!! And R still pined for G...amazing!! :-)) I simply love those old love stories.
Nice description of the orthodox family setting....

Vijay said...

will read and post a SOLID BINDAAS comment soon. I just wanted to make my presence felt .. :D

Anonymous said...

kids have a way of romanticising their parents love stories. it is a kind of bolster to their own sorry love state. sad but quite often true.

Priyamvada_K said...

Anonymous,
I take that as a compliment. You actually dug through and read *that* many of my blogs? This blog is over 6 months old.... You must really like my writing!

Take care,
Priya.

Anonymous said...

can't deny i do! also anonymity has its own charm. i can be what i can never be otherwise.

B.S. said...

Oh, I love stories like this! Thank you for telling it so well!

Gladtomeetin said...

Hey cool one...Its always nice to dig into details n get to know things n secrets of elders ;-))

Priyamvada_K said...

Prabhu: thanks, glad you liked it!

Betty: thank you.

Gladtomeetin: welcome! True, love stories are interesting no matter what. And, our elders can be young at heart and its hard to slot anyone by age, really.

Priya.

Anonymous said...

Hi priya,

That's indeed an old movie story, I like B.Saroja Devi, a real stunner.
Lovely story...told in a nice way:)