Friday, May 06, 2005

Being kind to all - ourselves included!

A few months ago, I came across a letter in a "Dear Abby" column that has stayed with me. Apparently the previous week a woman - let's call her Eve - had written about her 13 year old daughter. Eve's daughter had gone to a friend's place and the friend's uncle kept saying mean things to her, calling her a bad girl, saying she's no good - and so forth, and all this laughingly. Eve had asked Abby how to help her daughter deal with such taunts and Abby had given a generic answer.

In the "current" issue I was reading, one of Abby's readers had responded to Eve's letter. She cautioned Abby and her readers, that this is no ordinary taunt. In fact, this is one of a child abuser's classic lines! Apparently, the man would keep putting the girl down as if in jest, and the girl in trying to be nice - becomes an innocent pawn in his hands - just to be labeled good. The writer had said that she had been abused as a child in this way, and recognizing this pattern just in time, had stopped such an abuse of her daughter! In her letter, she cautioned Eve's daughter to stay away from the man. And hoped that the man's children, and nieces (including the daughter's friend) were safe.

Passing on that bit of caution to other parents!

*-*-*-*

That is an extreme situation. But in general, I wonder if the fairer sex is called that because we are often fairer to others, than to our own selves. At a very early age, girls try to be 'good', pleasing and nice - and this builds up to the point where we neglect our own needs.....and wake up much, much later and realize our mistake...that being good is not limited to others, we've to also be good to ourselves!

Last night, was trying to pass on this bit to a weepy Kamala, as she sobbed in my arms. Apparently this uber-curious kid in her class had repeatedly asked K about why the latter's parents are divorced, despite poor K saying she didn't know why and didn't care. This kid, Z, kept insisting

"But I'm your good friend! And you have to tell me".

Kamala had then told Z that she didn't know the answer, and to stop asking her. She told Z that the question upset her. But Z had persisted, which had upset Kamala. I asked Kamala to tell Z next time, that it isn't Z's problem.

"But Z says that as a good friend she should know." (sob)

"Then tell her that good friends don't upset each other"

"Knowing is of no use to her, right Amma? Then why is she going on asking? (sob) Then if I don't tell her she says she won't be my friend anymore.....Z always does this!"

"Then Z is being mean, Kamala.....people who have to have their way all the time, are being unfair. And it is better not to have a friend who doesn't care how you feel"

She looks up, and the sobbing resumes.

"If Z isn't my friend, my best friend A, who of late wants to be wherever Z is, will stop playing with me and stop being my friend too....You see, amma? I will have no friends! A used to always follow me, but of late she keeps saying Z, Z for everything!" (more sobs)

"Its ok kanna - if A stops being your friend, that's her problem. We don't need friends who hurt us. It is far better to have no friends."

"But I'll have no one to play with!"
"What about J or M?"
"They are boys, amma"
"But they play with you"
"Fine. But I want girl friends"
"It doesn't matter, ok? People who are nice to us are our friends - doesn't matter if they're boys or girls"
"So what should I tell Z?"
"Tell her its not her problem, and to quit bothering you! Then change the subject."
"But telling her that is not kind, Amma! And you said we should be kind, remember?"

Aaaaaaagh! A feeling of deja vu here.....lots and lots of memories of trying to be kind and good, to everyone else - until the long-overdue wisdom kicked in. Kamala won't have to go through this, if I can help it. The help starts now.

"kanna, being kind also means being kind to ourselves. Ok? Never do something that is unkind or unfair to yourself, just to please someone. Always ask in your heart two questions

1. Am I being kind to others?
2. Am I also being kind and fair to myself?

Always"

I pause, as she takes it all in.

"And never do something unpleasant just to gain someone's friendship. Never. Such people don't care about you, and are not your real friends. If you're confused about what's kind or fair, come talk to me or your dad. We are here to help. Ok?"

She ponders this.

"So I just say Its not your problem?"
"Right. Let's practice"

So we role-played for a while.

Me (the bad friend): You should tell me this...
Kamala: Its not your problem.
Bad friend: If you don't tell me, I won't be your friend anymore
Kamala: That's your problem!

(Thanks, Heartcrossings and Peppy for the latter one! :)

Kamala: Amma, will I remember all this? What if they ask something else?
Me: We'll practice over the weekend, ok? I'll be the meanie and you get to say all this cool stuff!
Kamala (smiling): Ok

Down with the meanies, and the bullies! :) Feel free to share your experiences/strategies.

9 comments:

Arpana Sanjay said...

Awww Choco,
The things a mom does!!
Its so heartwarming...as always I am reminded of my mom as well and my grandmom. :-)))
"At a very early age, girls try to be 'good', pleasing and nice - and this builds up to the point where we neglect our own needs..."

So true eh!! girls get into pleasing games so much more easliy that we realise...

Sumita said...

Priya

thats was a thoughtprovoking post.. It took me a long to make peace with myself. I have been always conflicted by a desire to be fair to myself and being fair to another, and have disovered I have a responsibility to myself far greater than my responsibility to others

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Brought back some poignant memories..

Priyamvada_K said...

Thanks, Chay, Jiva and Maria.

Chay - yes, being mom is a training in itself :)

Jiva - understand about the struggle to find peace. 100%!

Maria - that's a very good point. About telling her not to depend on one or two people for friendship...will keep it in mind.
I wasn't trying to label anyone "good" or "bad", merely trying to tell her that persisting in asking something even if it hurts a friend is not being a good friend (the qualifier is for the friendship).

Was trying to teach her to stand up to pressure - be it due to cliques, taunts, anything - and to not conform at the cost of her own self. But - will be careful in my choice of words. Thanks.

Priya.

Anonymous said...

one of my objections to ahimsa as practiced by gandhi was that it was not really non-violent, but violent to the self...i have dismissed it on several occassions as nothing more than an evolved form of guilt-tripping...:-))

yeah...owing it to ourselves is the most important part of kindness...:-))

inmyeye said...

that being good is not limited to others, we've to also be good to ourselves!

thanks priya... for the reminder... i needed it...

cheers

Anonymous said...

hello Priya,

You are such a wonderful writer. I have been following all your posts in sulekha and thro some links got to your blog pages.

You come out as a witty and warm hearted person, a wonderful mum and a lovely friend.

I enjoyed all your posts.
Keep up the good work my friend
Raji

Priyamvada_K said...

Thanks, bleu, buck, inmyeye, and Raji.

lol@buck's ahimsa theory :)

inmyeye - glad to be of help.

Raji - thanks for the kind words. I write what I feel, glad to be able to strike a chord.

BZ said...

I love the way you write.. straight from the heart.

RamaDrama said...

Hey Priya,
I was 8 when my mom told me to tell the friends, dad has gone to Dubai! I knew she had divorced but it didnt matter to me since i was mamma's boy anyway. Only when i reached college, i was comfortable to say it.Actually, only after working and being independent, when i was more sure of my self worth, i was confident to tell others.

I am so glad you are doing the right thing by telling Kamala the right things!

As far the article goes,i really couldnt find it. It was in my daily dosage page-samachar.com.