"Amma, will I ever be famous?" asks Kamala, my soon-to-be seven year old.
"Sure, kanna. What do you want to be - a dancer, an athlete, what?"
"I wanna be the President"
I do a double take on that.
"The US President?"
"Yeah.....you said I can be that if I want to. I was born here, right?"
Hmmm. One day we had a discussion, among other things - about citizenship, and I had told her that even though I can become a US citizen, I cannot do some things here - like run for the presidency, for instance. And she has latched on to that.
"So I can be president if I want to, right?" she persists.
The question hangs in the air for a minute. A female president of non-caucasian origin....now that will be a first on a lot of fronts! Then again, we're talking at least 30 years down the line. At 37, she might well beat Clinton's record of being the youngest president. I'm optimistic :-)
"Sure, dear. I'll be your campaign manager!"
"What's a campaign manager?"
"Its the person who goes around asking people to vote for someone, you know? Manages things, writes down what the person has to say to each crowd to win an election, and so on"
She takes some time to digest that.
"Ok, you can be my campaign manager"
"But Presidents have to wake up early each day - and give speeches. Can't wiggle around in bed and whine" - Now I assume my whiny-Kamala-voice - "but you don't ever let me sleeep!"
She smiles. "Ok, I won't whine"
Great, let me milk this for all its worth.
"And future Presidents can't whine about dance and swim lessons either - they've to be pretty smart, you know!"
"Ok, I won't whine about that either"
"Then we have a deal"
"Yes!"
And we shake on that.
Note to self: hit the gym an hour each day, pronto! Need your strength, 30 years down the line!
"Thank you, honey. Now who'll be your running mate?"
"What's that?"
Now begins Politics 101 - lite!
"The running mate is someone who gets to be Vice President. You need to have one!"
"Oh, ok. Jacqueline!"
Two women running the country, one of them Jewish. That'll be another first.
"Hey, wait - what about Sri?"
Sri is my Mr.P's daughter. Kamala and Sri have a love-hate relationship, going from utter love to bitter hatred in minutes. She waves her hand impatiently.
"Sri can be my helper!"
"A helper - like what? Cleaning your room?"
"Yeah"
So this is hate season.
"Nope. Mr.P will be really upset, you know"
She's thinking hard now. She doesn't love Sri too much this minute, but doesn't want to upset dear Mr.P.
"Uh, ok - what do you want Sri to be?"
"Vice President?"
"Uh-uh. That's Jacqueline!", she says firmly. No change on that!
"Maybe the Education secretary?"
"What's that?"
"Sees about schools and colleges"
"Oh, ok. Sri likes books - so she can be that! And Raina can be the judge"
"The judge? You mean the attorney general?"
She looks at me blankly for a minute, then seems to understand.
"Yeah, the attorney general"
All right! So we are beginning to get an all-women team. And if I have anything to do with raising her, it won't be a Republican team :-)
"Hey - we forgot something. What's your agenda?"
"What's an agenda?"
"An agenda is what you plan on doing when you become President...."
She ponders this for a moment.
"Ummm....I'll give toys to all kids who can't afford them. They'll also have healthy food - no candy or too much junk food - and a good home"
Not bad for an almost seven Presidential hopeful.... I feel confident now.
"Alright honey, 30 years from now, I'll be your campaign manager!"
"...and my babysitter"
"Your babysitter?"
"Yeah. You said you'll babysit my kids when I have them, right? ...Right?"
"Errr...right. I did say that...."
"So you can be both!"
And the matter is settled.
Note to self: Hit the gym triple-time, pronto! And hope to stay alive for 30+ more years!
Kamala for President, anyone?
11 comments:
LOLLL...this was hilarious...that was some entrance priya...ok kamala for prez 2036...i'll be the chief lobbyist for better india america relations...and will be responsible for delivering the indian-american vote bank...2036 US will be like india today i am guessing...so vote bank politics would be ruling the roost...:-P
hey priya--we havent met but yahlooo [nodding friendly-like] great blog :-p and i will be damned if i dont enjoy the ssm's little one adn your little one's showdown in 2036. Hell, give 'em both "The prodigal daughter" right now mesayz.
Brilliant as usual!
Thanks for the support :). SSM - understand filial devotion completely.
Buck - didn't even think about vote banks. Glad I can count on your wisdom :)
Peppy - hi! Prodigal or not, right now I'm happy to hug both the 2036 contenders.
Rads - thanks for the encouragement.
Priya.
Beautiful as usual Priya!Lovely to see you here:-)
Priya ! thats a cool curtain raiser for you !
All girls team !!! Lets see it happen !
Hi Priya,
Lovely blog..:) Will take time to go through ur other blogs.. remember reading a couple of them in sullu, and i loved those.. will check out this place leisurely.. welcome to DSS:)
lol, very nice Priya.....and hey, don't let ur Kamala compete with SSM's Randomizer....u don't know what all he has taught her ;)
and I repeat - so glad to see you here, welcome to dss :)
enig!
hey Priya,
Am I glad to see you here or what.
:) Seems 2036 is in for a lot of firsts.
You got quite a kid there.
Yayyyy!! Choco's here!!
:-)))))))
Welcome aboard Chocs!!! so good to seeya blog here as well!!
And if Kamala has any of the spirit you have, she will be Prez 2036 alright!! I think she already has it...;-)) spunky one this kammo eh!! a great big hug for her!!
Hey, all! Thanks for the support and kind words. You've all made me feel very welcome. Nice to see a lot of familiar handles.
Priya.
Post a Comment