Tuesday, April 05, 2005

A detour through some memories...Conclusion

Start of series
Previous part
Why is it that when we attempt to navigate a relationship along a certain path, we start navigating more and relating less? This is what happened between me and A. I could see A's letters getting sadder and sadder, and it hurt to see that I had inadvertently caused this sadness. So every letter I wrote back, I tried to be lighthearted and quite the joyful married woman. I asked him the most superficial questions, kept urging him to get married and settle down. All this must have caused him grief, but in my mind, there was no other way. I decided that if I was truly his well-wisher, the honesty I have in all my relationships has to take a backseat.

I have always defined my relationships by openness - and here was a strange relationship that was so close to my heart and yet the least open. In each letter that he wrote, A would ask about my married life, my husband. Sometimes directly, sometimes obliquely. And aver that any time I were to visit India, wherever I am, he would drop everything and come to meet me. His offer touched me deeply - but made me ensure that I would never let him know when visit I India or contact him while I was there.

I never once let on how difficult my marriage was, how turbulent those years were. Never. Somehow it seemed - wrong! Wrong and unprincipled. Disrespectful to my husband, to my marriage.

So that was yet another facade (besides the I'm just an ordinary friend facade) that I had to keep up - that of a happily married woman.

*-*-*-*

The letters ceased for a few months, and I called the number he gave me - that of his family. I had called him a few times there, so they knew my voice. I was told he had started working on a ship, and this took him away for months on end. He was incognito for about two years - traveling God knows where. I don't know what he had told his mother about me - but she was extremely evasive about giving any contact information. Perhaps he had confided in her in a weak moment? About two years later, I had a letter from him:

I have finally taken your advice and got married. Now I am your average householder dear Priya, so wish me luck!

I was thrilled to hear from him. And happy - happy that at last he had decided to settle down. Moved that he would write again to tell me. A, do you really have to ask me to wish you luck? Don't you know I have always wished you that? Once again he had enquired about my life, about my husband - asked whether I was happy. A, why do you ask me these tricky questions? But I spouted the usual lines, which seemed to have become second nature to me when it came to telling A anything.

*-*-*-*

The last letter I received was an email - we had lost touch for a couple of years, and he had taken the trouble of sending messages to email ids like mine, before finding me. He was thrilled to hear back from me, he said, when I replied. He wrote about so many things - that he had changed jobs, and was posted somewhere in a forest area, in Madhya Pradesh. The warmth was effusive, unmistakable.

You will like this place, Priya. From my office window, I can see the woods.....sometimes in the nights, leopards roam free......

As wonderful as it was, the contact came at the worst possible time in my life....That period when what I had desired to preserve in the face of tremendous challenges, what I had believed all along was the love of my life - had just imploded in my face. The marriage I had clung to so desperately ceased to exist.

Suddenly single and left to my devices, I was more or less an automaton.... too many things to work through, too little strength left for emotions. There was only one emotion I felt - a paralyzing grief - and that I reserved for places where I could be neither seen nor heard. I had to preserve a facade even to the person closest to me, and who saw me everyday - my daughter.

A didn't seem to mind my short reply, and went on to write that he had a son also now. Said he had traced me after much difficulty, asked me how I was. Asked about my job, where I was, my family life, and as always - my husband. I replied very generally, talking about work and my daughter - and offering the appropriate congratulations on the birth of his son. Then came the reply

You have replied to all questions except one!

That line gave me pause.....A had seen right through my evasiveness!

I was determined not to let my guard slip this time. Wrote back about my wonderful home life and painted a vivid and rosy picture for his benefit. I don't know how much of a letter-writer I was, and how natural or unnatural the mail sounded. In fact, I was barely aware of anything back then - felt numb, completely numb.....

We exchanged a couple of mails and then lost touch. Perhaps A was stung by my impersonal replies, and decided not to write anymore. My heart aches at this thought.

A, will you understand one day that to me, friendship is about giving, and at that point I had nothing to give? That you remember me as a young, bright-eyed woman full of hopes and dreams.....and somehow, when everything around me was falling apart it had seemed important to preserve that image, if only in myth?

*-*-*-*

Long afterwards, a friend who knew about this asked me if I had any regrets - any regrets about the past. Asked me if I had ever wondered how it would've been to have married A instead.

I remember asking myself this question.... and the answer has always been no. Love is not measured by profit and loss. The love we give away only enriches us, and perhaps in some small way, brightens the days of those we love....One cannot put a price on love or demand a return on that investment!

A month ago, I wrote to A - to that same email address. Waited with bated breath to find...that my mail had bounced back to me. I tried the phone number he had given me, and got a recorded message that the number is invalid. Tried dialing a '2' before the number, as per the new phone numbering system in India. The phone kept ringing unanswered....Is A still at that number?! He had mentioned that he may get transferred again, and that was three years ago....I have no other way of contacting him. With my frequent moves, I have lost his home address...all I had was from his email.

I will try the number again and see....I hope I get through. This time I will be open about everything - the journey that has brought me this far, the wonderful man in my life, my child. Everything. The fog that had come into our relationship has lifted....and I have come to realize that I have loved him all along - as a spirit! I have never once thought of him in the physical realm....but have loved him as a human being, as a fellow kindred spirit....and what is wrong with that? I will ask him about his family, perhaps see him when I go to India...meet his wife, play with his children. And renew the friendship again. I hope the line goes through.

Be that as it may - I will always remember him fondly. A has given me much to be happy about. His presence in my life - however remote; his affection. The thought that brightened some of my days in those lonely years - that someone, somewhere, once loved me.....and still loves me.

And until our paths cross again, I will leave it like that - as a beautiful memory of a beautiful friendship.

Concluded.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome series priya...but didn't like the ending...since it is not creative, there is nothing much to say...but i find the kind of restrain u showed in not sharing ur rough times kinda unbelievable...by that i mean it doesn't sound like realistic restrain, but rather the kind shown by the "sacrificing" characters in super-emotional movies...maybe i just haven't met super-tough women like u in real life...:-)

Anonymous said...

I happened on your blog and am annoyed by your oh-so-sacrificing attitude.

I am in the role of A's wife - and I don't like it one bit when my A's Priya keeps contacting him, excluding me (could she be wishing me away as the inconvenience of their great epic romance) and he does not tell her to f off.

The A's and Priyas of the world escape the hard work of marriage and child rearing and spend their lives dreaming of what might be - secure in the knowledge that they will never have to face grim reality and find out for real. And along the way they scar and burn their real partners and the children they produce in their half-hearted marriage!!!!

If your attempts to reconnect with him don't include his wife 100%, you are nothing but a cheap conniving huckster.

Keep in mind - a person who does not respect his vows to his wife will not respect his vows to other significant others either.

It is a matter of integrity.

Priyamvada_K said...

Ok - didn't want to comment, but two things.

a) the 'self-sacrificing' part: depends on point of view. Not sharing rough times with another person could be due to genuine love for one's husband, respect for the marriage - and resolve to stick it out inspite of difficulties. I have seen women weep on the shoulders of former beaus - and complain about their current mates. This is disrespectful to the marriage, and can weaken it. Every marriage has problems, and weeping about it to former beaus, is opportunistic. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

b) Anonymous - sympathize with your situation 100%. Please don't lump this under "A's and Priya's", though. This is very different. The blog says it all, and I won't add to it. Good luck.

Priya.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I recently found about the DSS, and thanked everyone (silently) for allowing me to read good blogs without sorting out the trash that Sulekha has now become.

Have been a quiet follower of most blogs, commenting rarely. But, couldnt stop myself typing a few words here. Saw the movie raincoat a couple of days back, and loved it. Though I have read only the conclusion part of this blog series, I could feel the emotions.

There is a dialogue in the movie by Annu Kapur, Woman does not show her hurt and sorrow to man, especially the one she is (or has been) close to. Naive I am, but your thoughts on respecting the marriage through thick and thin, just moved me.

Read the anonymous comment, felt that the person wrongly assumed you are trying to contact 'A' to share your emotional baggage. What I perceive is, you want to come out in open to your friend, when you are comfortable with it. What the 'anonymous' faces in life, is definitely wrong on her husband's part, though.

Actually, I came across your blogs through Libran Lover's blog on women's lib. I have always assumed I am a grown up but then, with these blogs around, I have lots to learn about life. Thanks to you for sharing these, and should I add that you have a good writing style or is that understood ? :)

Best Luck,

Anonymous said...

It really does not matter why you are trying to contact A. If it does not include the wife or if it makes her feel excluded it is WRONG! The onus is on you because she is a reluctant party to this little mind game and under no circumstances does she deserve to wonder what's up with you two or feel like the odd one out.

It is seductive to think you are the exception and yours is the epic romance. Wishing it so does not make it so. Why do you think Camilla will never garner the sympathy and following that Diana did? Diana was much more than pretty looks!

Are you capable of imagining how you would feel if your husband was the one being pursued and you were the wife?

Priyamvada_K said...

Texture lover,
Thanks - you got it 100% right. What I'm really sad about is the loss of a beautiful friendship. I haven't imagined A in any other way in life. No regrets about anything. Thanks for the kind words.

Anonymous,
What your husband is doing is definitely wrong. Any friendship - esp with the opposite gender, should include the spouse and children. Otherwise it is not friendship, its interfering with a marriage. You are right in being angry about your situation - I would be too.

If you read my series objectively, you'll see that I've maintained my distance all along - and also intend to include both our families. I have no need or desire to 'pursue' anyone, and have a wonderful man in my life (read my blog - 'Love is a 55 calorie cookie').

I sympathize with you. Good luck.

Priya.

Saroja said...

Hey Priyamvada..I came across that bit from your mail in LL's post on women..I must say this:I really admire your stand in the situation and the way you didn't make use of A,by leading him on when your hubby-to- be wasn't around.A lot of women I know don't seem to do that.Also,all the best with your Mr.P!

Anonymous said...

Hi

I am a recent reader and stumbled across this series of yours. It was heart aching to read through this since i know from your later entries that your marriage to X did not work out. I wish it had gone differently right in the beginning when A expressed his wish to you. Anyway, coming back to the present, i admire you for your mature stance now that A is married and planning to interact with him and his family as a friend. I wish you all the best and for you to find whatever you are looking for!

best wishes,
shree

Priyamvada_K said...

Shree,
Welcome to my blog! Thanks for the kind wishes.

Things happen in life for a reason - either it is karma, or for us to grow from within. We can't say why....but it is upto us to make the best of the situations we come across.

Take care, and have a wonderful day.

Priya.

Anonymous said...

Some people seem to get their kicks by displaying their private matters...