Wednesday, April 20, 2005

A lover's caveat

I am aware that I'm not perfect,
Though eternally striving to be
I'm as human as human can get
Just as fragile, highly imperfect

Tried to be a dutiful daughter -
Perfection there was tough
Spent some years as a wife -
But my best wasn't good enough

Got a few degrees from college
Won't call myself an expert;
I'm still a seeker of knowledge
Though purveying it doesn't hurt

I take very seriously - my motherhood,
After all, isn't it in my blood?
But just when I think my learning is done
A new challenge looms in the horizon

Some days I call successful - some days not
Some days I'm too exhausted to care
I've accepted myself the way I am
Resigned myself to my imperfection

So don't ask that I be the perfect partner,
Perfect mom, perfect wife - and in your mind,
Perfect clone of yourself, albeit feminine;
Its all I've done in life - chasing perfection

So for once, just once - take me as I am
Let me rest in your arms,
This battered, imperfect self -
And let me breathe!

6 comments:

bilbo said...

hey,
as a friend of mine says for things he finds awesome, "ASSAM".
:)

Arpana Sanjay said...

Are we not all "hopelesly flawed" dear Choco???

Lovely poem!! :-))
Breathe deep, dear friend!!

Anonymous said...

perfection is overrated, methinks...look at nature...imperfection improves flexibility and adaptability...perfection is a narrow oneway path...hit an evolutionary dead end and u r pretty much screwed...applies as much to individual evolution...:-P

tom said...

VERY beautiful and heatfelt. Thank you for sharing...

Anonymous said...

Whoa! Amazing stuff, Priya... I have been reading your blogs for a long time now and every single one touches a chord deep within... Keep writing...

Sideways Chica said...

Beautiful and well said Priya! I left you a comment on my post...I can tell you are a special person...don't let anyone try to cahnge you...I like you just the way you are.