I remember liking the song Coward of the County in my twenties. Especially these lines:
"Promise me son not to do the things I've done;
Walk away from trouble if you can.
Now it dont mean you're weak if you turn the other cheek.
I hope youre old enough to understand:
Son, you dont have to fight to be a man."
Of late, this bit of wisdom gives one pause. You want to believe it, but have trouble holding on to this conviction. You take the high road - trying not to stoop to certain levels. You hope - and reason with yourself - that this is the only way for a clear conscience and long-term peace, that it will pay off in the end.
In the short term, it doesn't seem to. Like Tommy, who exercised extreme control on his emotions, one gets mistaken for a coward. People goad you and try to push you over the limit. With such people, turning the other cheek means getting slapped twice. Drawing the line in such situations is the hardest thing to do.
*-*-*
The ex pushed me to take action when I could no longer stand his bullying and threats, and talking reasonably wouldn't work. Where there is no respect there is nothing. One cannot reason with someone who understands he is unreasonable and still wants to stick to his ways no matter what the cost.
"I have every right to treat you the way I want"
Of course, I had the right to not have to be around it, and exercised that right. I have no regrets on that decision. But I have tried to be civil, and fair.
Till today, for the sake of my child, I have swallowed my pride on several occasions. Would dutifully take her to classes he enrolled her in, if they fell on my time with her. Would readily switch days/weekends, if he couldn't be around for his visitation.
Of course, there was/is no reciprocation. I have tried asking, demanding even, but that ends up with my child getting directly or indirectly punished. I have stopped expecting it in the interest of my child. I don't want her to feel torn in between. And, as a cousin says "If he was the kind who reciprocated your gestures, why would you divorce him?"
But parenting is different - we have to, at some level, cooperate as parents. Sometimes immaturity and pigheadedness strikes there as well, and leaves me stumped.
*-*-*
Long holiday visitations would invariably end up in a big load of unfinished homework on return. I need to struggle with her to get it done. This after having a conversation with him beforehand on pending tests/homework.
A confidential conversation - where I took him into trust and asked to look into Kamala's schoolwork as her quiz grades seemed to slip - got divulged to the child. She comes back with an aghast expression "Daddy said you told him my grades were bad - Amma, I didn't get bad grades in all except two worksheets. How COULD you!!?"
I cannot believe he would treat her like a peer and tell her our confidential conversations. Why is it so hard to get even that basic maturity? Regardless of what we feel for each other, isn't it important that we present a united front in front of the child? How many co-parenting married/divorced couples do that?
*-*-*
End result is I feel stupid. I feel like lashing out but my own sense of decency stops me. I don't want to get down and have a fight - I don't want to give him the satisfaction of having provoked me. I have politely but firmly told him I was going to hang up, and done so - when he got disrespectful over the phone. I have calmly looked him in the eye when he has glared in anger, and walked away with my head held high - not an easy task after years of catering to his moods.
I have allowed my child to talk to ex-in-laws, in spite of what some of them had done to worsen the situation when my marriage was collapsing. Despite the fact that the ex himself hasn't bothered to talk to them in the last couple of years.
*-*-*
Long ago, I had read a story by Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa about a snake. The snake lived in a forest, and was notorious for inflicting bites on harmless folk who passed through his area. People were terrified of him.
Once, when a saint passed by the forest, the snake came out - and found himself mesmerized by the saint's radiance. The saint advised him to give up his violent ways.
From then on, the snake became very docile. He would not react even when anyone came too close to his snakepit. He would stay quiet even when accidentally trampled. Slowly, people became bolder. Some even threw rocks at him, and he managed to escape with some bruises.
The saint, when he passed by the forest again, found the snake to be much thinner, battered and bruised. When he enquired why, the snake told him the tale of woe and abuse after the snake's transformation.
"But why didn't you protect yourself?" asked the saint.
"Because you told me not to bite", replied the snake.
"I told you not to bite, but when did I tell you not to hiss?" retorted the saint.
From then on, the snake learned his lesson. He successfully drove off potential abusers by hissing.
*-*-*
The snake has an inbuilt hiss. As for humans, we have to figure out a way to retain our dignity while still taking the high road.
19 comments:
Take care. Life isnt always smooth and fair. Its very difficult phase you are going through. But good times would come. Afterall, even earth spins from darkness to light. Wishing you happiness in the new year.
Priyamvada, in our workshops, we ask participants to denote on paper, the emotions that an argument evokes in them. Some people scribble so much that their sheets tear. The anger, frustrations, sadness finds a way on paper. Some use red color some black. I tried this exercise myself. And i found myself drawing a thin,straight line in pencil. It denoted my tiredness and resignation! I no longer wanted to even delve on those emotions enough to choose a color and expend force. I have never experienced this much "numbing" EVER! I cannot differentiate anymore between resilience and numbing. While this numbing obstructs movement away from a problem situation, making people incapable of movement and decisions, I am glad you are out of yours. Not entirely but as much as you could get out of it. I really do not know about resolution of such issues or maybe its my pessimism talking.
u know hissing is easy. keep doing it
I really wonder how anyone can spoil lives of others and keep troubling as if it is the only thing to do.
esp spoiling the mind of young girl like ur daughter.one cant even have the decency of maintaining cordial relationship for his own offspring
i think it is the work of a bruised ego .
happy 2009
The high road is not the easiest of roads. Your blogs are always inspirational....
Come by to wish you a happy new year 2009.
vi
Jeeves, J, Uma and Vi,
Wishing you all a very happy 2009.
Thanks for your wishes.
Jeeves,
I wrote down some thoughts at a low moment. Am ok now.
J,
Your exercise sounds very useful. Difference between resilience and numbing is not easy - I guess resilience is in a way hopeful of better times, whereas numbing is an immediate reaction to pain.
Uma,
Hissing is easy...? You are a brave woman :)
Vi,
Thank you. Hope all is well at your end.
Priya.
Hi Priya
Here, I see a glimpse of a very mature parent. One who is trying to be positive at all times and shrug off pettiness. That needs real courage. I know you have loads of it.
Always good to read you.
Wishing You and Kamala A Very Happy & Prosperous New Year.
Anj
Dear Anj,
Thanks for the comment, and the wishes. Here's wishing you and your family a very happy 2009!
Priya.
Priya, at least there's one of you two who is mature! :)
you take care and here's to more power to you this year!
LL
bluehues,
Nice to see you! Long time. Here's wishing you a very happy 2009!
Priya.
Hey....Priya,
As usual making my quarterly visit to blogworld and am landing here first to see what you have written.
I think you arrived at what kind of response you need to take with your ex as you wrote this. You cant be playing chess when someone is engaging you in kabaddi. You can walk away thinking the "head held high" logic or your team member (Kamala) will be affected logic but guess what, you are being dragged down and choked and your team member is affected no matter what. So, you might as well play the Kabaddi game and show them you can "hiss". Being nice doesn't help. You become more victimized.
Wish you and Kamala a Great Year where your team grows more stronger with deep understanding this year!
Priya
The snake story touched a chord in me. I have quoted this post in my blog hope you dont mind.
Tough times ,one can understand. Just take it day by day. God has His own decisons which ultimately is beyond our compreehension. I brought up my two sons ,who are now grown up,single handedly. No regrets,but not for the kind you are suffering.Today as I sit & think back with a wry smile,I feel the worst is over.
While it might be little solace to you,all that I can tell you is,take it day by day.
God Bless
TC
CU
Motorama,
Absolutely delighted to see your comments - my, you're back with a bang!
Absolutely loved the kabaddi analogy. Reminded me of what my father used to say "Go on the offensive with such people". There are times when I have done just that.
But with a child in the picture, I feel I have to be careful that she does not get hurt in the bargain or feel caught in the middle. Her father's maturity level is questionable - I tolerate it to a degree, but when it goes beyond that, I put my foot down gently but firmly. Its delicate because at no time do I want Kamala to think that I'm trying to prevent his involvement in her life, or his relationship with her.
Some people's ego is bigger than their desire to see the overall good - what to do? You have to work with it. I'll remember the kabaddi comment, though :-)
Priya.
SK,
No problem, quote away! I have been meaning to get a copy of Sri Ramakrishna's stories for children. Will do it one of these days. I absolutely loved them as a child.
Priya.
Compassion Unlimited,
I was very moved when I read that you brought up your sons alone. Hats off to you! That must have been tough. No wonder that you have so much empathy with people. I will take one day at a time. Thank you.
Priya.
Came here just like that, and saw this heartfelt post, felt very anguished that there are fathers like that,seen it many times that few parents make the child the boxing bag, whosever has a grouse against other one punches the child, may be because they think that it will hurt the spouse more, may be you maturity will teach him someday.
Renu,
Welcome to my blog. Thanks for the supportive comment. On the positive side, my child's father genuinely cares for her. But his ego always comes first - he cannot set it aside even if it benefits our daughter. But parents are parents, and nobody can care for a child as much as either parent.
So one has to work with the immaturity, hoping that a greater good will come out of it.
Priya.
Dearest Priya,
Warm,warm hugs to you.
"This too shall pass
Like countless nights before
Darkness was not born
With the gene of eternity"
Hang in there. This shall get better. And you will always arrive at better destinations for having taken the high road.
Love and hugs,
Scarlett
Dear Scarlett,
Your comment left me speechless.
"You will always arrive at better destinations for having taken the high road."
Trust you to weave magic with words, and at the same time, pack them with power and conviction. Thanks for that heartwarming comment.
Love, and hugs,
Priya.
Post a Comment