I was reading the comments on an article in CNN about the Nebraska Safe Haven law. One of the comments said "I love my child...what kind of parent would leave a child and go?"
The comment I read is the typical response of an inexperienced parent - or someone who has not much concept about raising children beyond: "I love kids. They are cute!".
Many of the parents who left the children in the care of the state, did so not out of a lack of love. Some of the teenagers were too unruly, and out of control. The parents, with no support, and often having to work multiple jobs in this economy to survive, chose to leave the child with the state, rather than come home and deal with tough situations that they had no energy to handle. Their desperation had reached such a high level.
*-*-*
While abandoning a child is extreme, parenting has gotten increasingly tough these days. Time is scarce, competition is tough, and support systems are breaking down.
My parents, as children, grew up in large extended families. There were uncles, aunts and cousins - and grandparents to help. Children had plenty of company in the form of siblings and cousins, and learned to share. They learned to accept that they may not get everything they want. They learned religious and moral concepts from elders. They learned that life is not always fair.
If a parent was indisposed, there were plenty of other adults who could help. If a parent was not well-rounded and was lacking in some aspects, other adults stepped in. Men were the providers and women kept house. Competition wasn't much - if someone didn't study well enough to provide, other brothers took up that load, so nobody went hungry. People led simpler lives. Family ties bound people, even though some might have felt them to be stifling.
My generation largely grew up in nuclear families. Men were still largely the providers, and women kept house. We grew up among siblings and learned to share. But some of the people-skills that came naturally to my parents' generation, was missing. Their generation, having grown up in extended families - knew how to pick battles, how to handle several different types of people and get things done without ruffling feathers, how to accept less than what they wanted and still be at peace, and how to not sweat some stuff. Sometimes distant relatives would come home and camp there for several months - my parents' generation could handle all that without any feelings of loss of privacy. They were pretty much used to people trooping in and out of their homes, and distant cousins weren't as distant as they are now.
My generation lost some of that; parents and siblings were all we dealt with. We were able to share some, but not with everyone. If relatives stayed on for months together, we felt the loss of privacy. We weren't as tolerant of people and their idiosyncracies as the previous generation. We were perhaps not as wise in picking battles. Our parents coped, nonetheless. With one resident parent, the children grew up without being rushed. There was still ample time for most things. And, in India there is outside help that is available relatively inexpensively - along with good access to public transport. Competition began to heat up, and we had to study hard to get into college.
One generation later - both men and women are working. There are some families headed by single parents, like mine. Some of us have moved far into countries like the US, where outside help is expensive or non-existent. Extended family support has dwindled, and one parent has to manage both parenting and providing. This parent is not perfect, but has to cope somehow. Competition has become intense, which means the pressure on the parent to make the child excel, is intense also. In most middle class families, having at least one after-school activity is the norm, and we drive children back and forth on the weekends.
As years go by, and children go to higher classes, the quantum of homework increases. A parent picks up the child after work, comes home, puts dinner on the table, then helps child with homework and school projects, enforces discipline, ensures child goes to bed at a certain time....and falls asleep around that same time. This parent is pretty much responsible for everything from child care to keeping track of bills, taking care of house repairs, protecting the family in all ways possible, and providing moral and cultural lessons.
If the child is spirited and strong-willed, there are going to be battles to enforce house rules. Economic woes and money worries add to this cocktail. If a parent has to work multiple jobs, there is still less time with the child, and more disciplinary issues. No wonder so many parents are overwhelmed.
Without understanding this dynamic, it is easy to label a parent and say they don't care. Many of them do, and don't know how to cope if the situation gets desperate.
*-*-*
Last week found me exhausted. Battles with Kamala - on homeworks, projects, getting ready for school - were taking their toll. Energy level was low, and I had just recovered from a back injury that had limited my movements for a few days. I found myself overwhelmed, and thinking about boarding schools.
My child has her endearing moments, but has no concept of time. When she is in a rebellious mood, it takes all my energy to deal with her. There were multiple things to handle this week - house repairs, car repairs, and urgent matters at work. I found myself rushing from one point to another, on edge and snapping at people; ending up with headaches at the end of the day. Seeing no light at the end of the tunnel; feeling inadequate and completely unequal to the task. At one particular point, I found myself sobbing. It was demoralizing.
*-*-*
I decided to pour out my feelings to a women's Yahoo group that I subscribe to. This is a set of women writers I have known over a period of time, some of whom are parents. I got some useful advice. One of them said to be a bit detached with the kid, and not do so much. Another said not to take Kamala's outbursts personally - that she has only had 10 years to work on her time-and-stress management skills, and I should remember that; even many adults cannot handle time or stress correctly, and Kamala is only a child.
The best advice came from my friend R, who has known both Kamala and me over the years.
"Take yourself out of the equation", he said. "Tell Kamala that from now on, she needs to tell you when to leave for school, and you both will leave then. Tell her that if she's late, she will be pulled up by the teacher, and not you. So she has to take responsibility. You just set the alarm for her to wake up, put breakfast on the table, and watch the news."
I told him about our struggles with house rules, and her stressing out when there are school projects.
"Don't let that get to you. Tell yourself, 'I will not be hurt no matter what my child says. I am immune from her words - she is merely a child, and I am the adult'. If you lose it, everything goes down the drain, and the evening goes down the tubes as well. So it is important for you not to lose it."
This advice has helped me. I find myself more relaxed, putting responsibility where it rightfully belongs, and above all, not getting stressed when she overreacts about something. Kamala is a strong-willed, persistent and intense child - and to handle her intensity, I have to keep my own intense nature in check. She is struggling with some concepts as part of growing up, and I should not take those personally. If I manage to keep my cool, I can calm her down without getting worked up.
Ah....it seems like some light bulb has been switched on in my head. Thanks, R. And thanks, you wonderful friends from the e-mail group (you know who you are).
*-*-*
Such perspective I could not get from my own mother. My mother hadn't had much mothering herself (my grandmother was bedridden when my mother was growing up). I realize now that she herself had grappled with motherhood. When we were young, she would plead with us to do things. The pleading worked with me; it didn't work with my siblings.
Most people only have their parents' styles to base their parenting on - their effectiveness depends on the child. I have consciously borrowed from my father's style. But I have also unconsciously borrowed from my mother. I alternated between laying down the law and pleading. I realize now that this is a very inconsistent strategy. Results were obtained, but at a very high cost to personal energy.
What I urgently needed was a mentor.....and I am glad I had friends who stepped up to the plate and provided much-needed solace, advice and help. My friend R even gave me a coping strategy....None of this would have happened if I had not reached out for help that day.
*-*-*
No parent is perfect - or even complete. We need support systems. Parents need helpers, partners, friends, support groups, and sometimes mentors - to show us where our strategy can be honed to be more effective.
This is a touchy topic; most of us want to be seen as effective parents. We do not want to be judged as someone unable to cope with our own children.....And God forbid, we do not want our children to be judged either. We want to be seen as efficient and good managers. We want our children to be seen as bright, shining individuals.
But there are times when we are overwhelmed. There is no shame in asking for help. No parent can know it all. The bottomline on child-rearing hasn't changed over the years: it still takes a village to raise a child.
25 comments:
u r so right..
.parenting is one thing for which we are not actually trained.
the guilt that a working mom goes thru is tough to cope with.
ur analysis about the various generations and the support systems avl is thorough.
mentors are reqd to see the complexity of being a parent from a different perspective and offer solace.
I think U as a mom is doing a great job.cheers
"No parent is perfect - or even complete. We need support systems. Parents need helpers, partners, friends, support groups, and sometimes mentors - to show us where our strategy can be honed to be more effective."
Priya,
I completely agree...as the famous old saying goes (which Hillary Clinton adapted as the title of her book!).."It takes a village to raise a child"..
In my view, mothers should not be afraid to ask for assistance/support (it is not a sign of weakness or insecurity)..and it really does not matter whether it comes from relatives, friends or others- who are part of our lives...it gives sometime to breathe, relax and be a happier person..and a happier person is a better mother!
As always..a thoughtful blog..
take care,
Maria
Uma,
Absolutely - parenting we come into, with no training. Actually any training beyond the basics is not easy - each child is different, and we have to re-learn all over again.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Maria,
I feel SO happy when I see a comment from you. Thanks for being such a reassuring presence, in the blog and real world.
Priya.
Priya, Beautiful post.
Take it easy, it may not be as hard as it looks at some times. You have some excellent mentors already, and you have support group to lean on when you dont feel so good.
I am sure a few years from now you are going to look back and laugh and feel good abt yourself.
Priya - You are a very wise and thoughtful mom and I am sure Kamala will grow up to be a well-rounded and accomplished adult. Rarely, do parents analyze where they are failing and why like you have done. Often, they don't even know that they are failing. So rarely if ever do they reach out for help like you did. I love reading your thoughts on single-parenting and the unique challenges posed to women like us who are have no support system of family to ease some of the burden of raising a child. Thanks for sharing !
You made me sympathize with my mother. wish i had been a better kid. She'd resort to emotional blackmail. " If you don't read well and get a good job who'll look after me when I am old? Will you leave me on the streets because you wont have a home? If you dont eat how will you look after me when I am sick? You love me so much".....etc. Worked pretty well with me, the loyal, ruled by emotions daughter that I was.
SK,
Thanks for being there to offer support and suggestions. I so appreciate your presence. Hopefully things will get easier.
Heartcrossings,
Good to see you. When things get harder and not easier, sometimes it helps to look at the big picture and see what's happening. As single parents we put a lot of pressure on ourselves, and there is tremendous guilt. It is tempting to ignore some realities, but at some points an outside perspective and some consoling words can be really helpful. Thanks for the comment.
Vaidya_Vaakya,
I smiled when I read your first sentence. I got some of that when I wrote to the women's Yahoo group. It is comforting to read this :D
Thanks for sharing what worked with you as a child. Emotional blackmail works only sometimes with my kid. She is perceptive enough to see through it :). Overall, I'm trying to be a bit firm. Trying to let go a little, and let her take up more responsibility. Hopefully that will work.
Priya.
Hi Priyamvada, I am a recent single mom with twin 3 year old girls. I am desperately looking to create a circle of support for myself and would appreciate your time.. can you email me back at spk3893@yahoo.com? I would appreciate getting to know you and your advice about my situation...thanks!
Priyamvada, I sincerely appreciate your utter frankness in this post. Infact you had no hesitations in accepting our (the current generation's) shortcomings and still asserting that children need villages! How true.
Another important factor which influence parenting is peer pressure. Instead of appreciating what our kids can do, we go way beyond is pushing them too much and this has caused considerable mental turmoil both on kids as well as parents.
A wonderful writeup Priya. I hope I can comeback often for solace when I face the trials of my kid growing up ;-)
Anon,
I have replied to your message via email. I would be happy to be in touch.
Ravi,
Thanks for the feedback. I SO agree about peer pressure from other parents. This results in putting children in WAAAAY too many classes - more than they can handle. I feel sorry for the children.
The other amusing side-effect of this is the rivalry among the parents, if another child does better than their child in some activity... :)
I hope all of us parents can hang in there, and console each other when we feel lost :)
Priya.
I had seen the news item sometime back, Priyamvada... and I reacted... thus:
http://verboseviju.sulekha.com/blog/post/2008/10/hansel-gretel-syndrome-a-grim-tale.htm
I was shocked...
Your posts are always thought provoking. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Hello Ms. Priyamvada. I am Jameela Roshan. I remember studying with a girl named Priyamvada in Chennai at SIET college. Are you whom I am looking for?
If so, contact me at jrbabuji1961@yahoo.co.in
Anon/Viju,
Thanks for pointing me to your blog. I read your response to the news item, and posted a comment to your article.
PVS,
Thanks for the feedback. Dropped by your blog. Your daughter is an utter charmer :)
Ms.Jameela,
Sorry to say, but I am not the person you are looking for. Good luck with finding your friend!
Priya.
I'm glad you managed to get help in the form of R's advice. It seems very sensible and doable. As for thinking about boarding school---think a hundred times before you do it. I know it is easy to advise, and that's not what I intend. Especially after the movie Taare Zameen par, a lot of people came out with their feelings about having been put into boarding school. I admire the frank way you have analysed yourself, and yes, reaching out for help from any quarter is the sensible thing to do. If the previous generation had joint families, this one has friends---real and virtual! So make the most of them!
Joint families made a big difference before. Individualism, when it stresses on private spaces, will invariably shrink space for accomodation.
LAK,
I haven't watched Taare Zameen Par, though it is on my must-watch list. The boarding school part was really an idle thought - it is my belief that parents should do all they can to instill values and provide a solid foundation for emotional security for the child. Others will not take the trouble to this, as their emotional investment is very little.
As parents we are passing on traditions, values, a sense of belonging, and also a prototype for parenthood for future generations. This will not come from boarding schools (though I've heard some people who went to one say that the experience taught them to be independent and handle themselves well in any situation).
Your suggestion about friends taking the place of joint family is very sensible. A network of like-minded friends is the need of the hour.
Cheers,
Priya.
AnilP,
Welcome to my blogspot. You absolutely nailed it!
"Individualism, when it stresses on private spaces, will invariably shrink space for accomodation."
Very well expressed. And without accommodation, we lose the foundations of support and security as well.
Priya.
Long time, my friend
I loved the last part of your post. I tend to think I played the most important part in bringing up my kids - but yes, they are so much a part of the entire set of people they have interacted with - most of all the maids, play school attendants and teachers and all the others by whom they have been cared for - however briefly it might have been. Thanks for reminding me.
Shankari,
Great to see you again. It's been too long. I used to go by your 'old' blog site, only to find myself locked out.
Glad to find you again.
Priya.
Hi Priya,
Beautiful, thought provoking post! You have company with lots of lost parents out there trying to figure out what is right and what isn't in parenting...
Ofcourse, there is no one correct answer, we just need to excercise a lot of wisdom, sensitivity and patience while nurturing them and always always remembering to 'let them be' and 'let them go' when they are ready.
Easier said than done, i know, coz' I am an often exhausted parent too of two little kids...
Good luck!
If you haven't been told this already, I think you are doing a fantastic job as a single parent. I suspect that you rarely give yourself praise where it is due and reprimand yourself for the slightest mistake. Take it easy. You sound like a great mum to have.
Gayathri,
Thanks for the comment. I went by your blog - congrats on kid #2 :)
You're so right about sensitivity and patience. We need both - in spades. A cousin of mine simply hires people to do various aspects of mothering - teaching, care, etc and buries herself in work. Spends about 2 hours with kid each day - she's a doc who is very passionate about work. I feel bad for the kid, but there are moments when I can understand the mother - her child is too strong-willed and can sometimes be very hard to manage.
Priya.
Ammani,
Great to see you here! Thanks for that note of consolation. Sometimes I feel sorely tempted to write to that "bad mother" email list/blogsite of yours.
I need to remember to breathe, and be patient.
Priya.
Have no idea about parenting..but can tell you that a parent that lets their kids see their struggles, emotions and at same time provides leadership, safety and love,that kid will be darn good full of personality and responsibility! Knowing what i know about you and Kamala...from blogs am sure you are doing a great job(including the moments where u feel u dont)!
Post a Comment