My blogger friend, Willowtree, wrote about her love for cloudy days. Of late, I too like cloudy days. It seems to me that the sky is at its most relaxed, in a blessed state called Caprice....A state where it can just be, without having to do anything for anyone's sake. No pressure to be bright and sunny; nor any pressure to pour down in torrents and nourish the earth, though of course it could do any of these things on the spur of the moment. A cloudy day is a day of complete freedom, for the sky to be anything it chooses to be.
These days, I am like that cloudy sky, at my most capricious....I'm spending my days alone, now that Kamala is on her summer trip with her dad. I feel no particular desire for company, nor do I feel any abhorrence of it. Just as long as people let me be whatever I happen to be at the moment - sad, happy or anything in between. I miss Kamala, but even that feeling is like a gentle breeze, that comes and goes. None of the intense pangs that I normally feel every summer.
There appears to be an overall numbing of the heart. I don't even feel confident enough to tell someone I will be there for them, or that I care. That I am their friend no matter what.....none of that comes from the heart, so the words dangle on my lips for a moment, and die a silent death.
*-*-*
Today I watched a movie where a son remembers everything his mother did for him, after she passes away. One of the scenes is about the son in his younger years, holding a slate on his lap. His mother holds his fingers gently, and guides the chalk to write his name - Venu.
I remember many years ago, when I was about nine. Growing up in different states of India, I had not known how to write in Tamil, my mother tongue, though we spoke it at home. Appa had wanted to remedy this. So one day, he decided to teach it to me. He sat me down, wrote down the vowels, and had me practice over them. Guided my hands to write the Tamil alphabet, showing exactly where the letters loop, and where they cross over. By then I had graduated to pencil and paper, so those were my writing tools. We did this everyday for a while.
I had been a bit peeved at having my playtime cut short, but he had persisted. One must know how to read and write in one's mother tongue - its a shame otherwise, he had said. My natural curiosity to read everything I lay my hands on, took over from there. Once I could read the Tamil alphabet, I moved on to reading short sentences, then long ones. Finally I was as fluent as my parents were, in the written Tamil language.
I have thanked him silently, from the bottom of my heart, for those lessons. But for him, I would not have had the chance to be exposed to Tamil literary works, in later years. It opened up a whole new world for me.
In Tamil, we have a saying - ezhuththaRiviththavan iRaivan AvAn, meaning that the one who taught you the alphabet is (to be as revered as) God. But this is merely another facet of my life, where Appa left his presence.
Just come back home, he would say, every now and then. I will take care of you! I would retort that it is now my turn to take care of him - if only he will let me. And we would smile at each other.
When Appa was around, I could tell someone that I care, and mean it. I could tell them I love them, and mean that too.....As long as he was around, whether we talked frequently or not, I felt I could do anything.
Just as the sky, and the moon, reflect the Sun's light, my strength seems to have come from him. Now the sky is in a state of caprice. The Sun is around somewhere......but I have to look harder to find him.
24 comments:
It's a beautiful entry Priya. It never occurred to me that being able to appreciate our states of caprice may just be the beginning of true living.
Why should we do things that aren't from the heart?
I suppose it makes us more acceptable to others, popular perhaps, but it does not necessarily make us happy. When we constantly do things that are not from the heart, we begin to live in a perpetual state of artificial light. We can't radiate anything else.
But
When we find the true sun to reflect- the process is complete. From the heart happiness is born. And the light and warmth we radiate then is enviable.
If only it came in a bottle. I guess we could not appreciate it as much then though.
It seems we must embrace our clouds and our sun, we can't fully appreciate one without the other.
Your dad seems to have left you with many pockets of sun filled memories Priya. :)
Dear Willowtree,
You are so right about the state of artificial light. I haven't been able to put it quite so well - but you hit the nail on the head. That's the reason I don't go seeking for company.
There were people, well meaning ones, who tried to 'cheer me up' by doing some nice things. I appreciated the thought, but after a while they got upset that I wasn't "cheering up". I can understand their frustration. But the mind takes its own time to process some things, and one cannot cheer up on 'demand', right? Pretending to be my usual happy self to make them feel better drained what little energy I had. That was when I decided that I did not need that pressure.
So state of caprice it is..... maybe even a complete set of states. The United States of Caprice :D
Priya.
Hi Priya,
I just came by to see how you were doing.
Priya, healing takes time. You don't have to be cheerful to make others feel better.
Again, seek solace in God. It really helps.
Please take care. I promise you it gets better.
>>The Sun is around somewhere......but I have to look harder to find him.
:'(:'( enaku kashtama iruku ippa. I have started reading this post casually, but tears gushed down as I read the above lines thinking abt my no-more Appa. Its been 8 yrs since he passed away. Ah, anyway.
you take care, Priya. dont know what to say.
Dear Priya, I feel your pain. There are no right words, no magical philosophical salves that can penetrate the abyss of bereavment. But you, my friend, are strong. You have it in you to look inward and see the countless ways in which your father lives in you, speaks through you. And when it feels like your entire being has coalesced into one bottomless hole of pain, it is that which will sustain you and keep you flowing forward. I send you my deepest condolences.
You are absolutely right. The cheer up on demand channel doesnt work here hehe. Your friends will understand that this is time that you really need to concentrate on and take care of you. Be sure to relax a bit while youre in the United States of Caprice :). You'll be back. They just have to stay tuned.
Dear Pria,
So nice of you to come back and check. I am indeed taking some quiet time to reflect, and also pray. It is helping. But you're right - healing will take time. Thanks for support.
Priya.
Dear J,
Thanks for coming by and offering support. Sad to read about your father.
Priya.
Dear Chitra,
Thanks for your words of support. I am indeed trying to look inward, but it will take some time to get my bearings back. As of now I've given myself permission to drift.
Priya.
Dear Willowtree,
LOL@cheer up on demand channel. Yes, I will take time to relax in that caprice-land. Thank you.
Priya.
Priya,
Glad that you have this blessed aloneness now- make the most of it because at times our grief is too intense to be shared or displayed with any other person- especially a child.
As for looking, wherever the Sun may be, for your father you need to only look within. He is there in everything you think say or do- he would continue to guide you just as surely as if he were holding your hand over a pencil guiding you through the alphabet. This realisation does not necessarily reduce the physical pain of knowing he is not around to look at, talk to and feel but, I hope this does put the cloudy days in some perspective.
Meanwhile do explore the depths of your grief- give free reign to your sorrow and emerge the stronger for it. (((( ))))
Dear Shankari,
You are right on about trying to use the time alone, to grieve. I like the way you put it. That is what I am seeing also - that I can give the grief free reign when I don't have other duties.
Hopefully this will make me stronger....I have to be strong, as I don't have someone who will be strong on my behalf. I have no romantic notions of knights in shining armors :-). Appa was the only man, among those I loved deeply, that ever said he would be there for me.....and has been true to his word. In sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow, for richer or for poorer.....Who says these are only marriage vows? These are what soul bonds are made of.
Priya.
trust me life changes darstically after u loose soem one tht close.
I would always feel the strength of 100 elephants behind me with my dad around, i feraed nothing back then i wanted nothing more than my family. i hardly wnet out with my friends i wnet out more often with my parents - more with dad.
we did lot if things together from gardening to cooking ,shopping!!
i alwyas ahd teh confidence tht my dad woud ahve a solution. any place or location i wnat to reach i would ask my dad about it. any problem any crisis i would talk to him. he sounded so logical!!
but now after him iam scared, i feel in secure at times, i cannot trust every one, i have not laughed heartily in past four years! i don't smile often, i guess he was drivng force for me with out him i feel like a sail with out wind
Enigma,
I can relate to what you are saying so well. My father was the one who taught me how to cook. I have cherished gardening memories too (he had a green thumb, which I need to develop). Shopping - well we both hated shopping :-) unless it was for fruit or produce.
Our experiences sound so similar. Prayer, and doing some things he always wanted me to do - are my solace. That, and trying to see what I can do to help people with cancer.
Perhaps you will find some solace in a few things you did together, or that he wanted you to do?
Priya.
Dear Priya...you basked in the glow of his love and pride for who you were then and who you are now. He nurtured and you grew. You still have the strength...and you still have his light shining on you...glowing around you. It's just coming from another place now. You will find the light soon chica. I know you will, and then you will once again know your strength, and you will see that it didn't go anywhere. You just need to flip the switch...you're Appa knows you will soon. ;)
Ciao bella...be well.
Dear Teri,
Thanks for the support. I have my ups and downs, and plateau times. I am confident that I will find my light eventually.
All this while I had someone who was my rock - a rare species. Now I have to seek that rock from within, and maybe - just maybe that will make me a better and stronger person.
Its a long tunnel though, trying to find that light.
Priya.
:-)
how u doin priya...
arent u gonna wish me yet..:-)
dear priya,
i pray for strength to you. i incidentally read another blogger's post about her dad..it's all very hard to face. i thought you might get some little courage from it..
http://bonniebluebutler.blogspot.com/2006/05/letter-to-appa.html
take care..and remember your father would've wanted you to live your life to the fullest. that's what will make him proudest.
with prayers, ranjani
Dear Gingko,
Wished - in your blogsite :).
Dear Ranjani,
Thank you for pointing me to that beautiful entry. It was a poignant read - but something I can relate to all too well. Too many people are lost to cancer :((
Priya.
Dear Priya,
I know very well what you mean when you say your strength seems to have come from Appa. I have often said that my strength and guidance came from my mother, and I did feel that I could do anything when she was alive. It has been a real struggle for me to find that strength without her. I hope that you are still enjoying your state of caprice. It sounds very healing.
Dear Betty,
Its tough to lose the one person who was your rock, isn't it? Hope you find peace and strength.
State of caprice is indeed healing. Is a way of letting go, and not making an effort to be a certain way at a certain time - especially when grief takes a lot of energy.
Hope you and your son are doing well.
Priya.
Sorry for the late comment. My heartfelt condolensces for the irrepairable loss!
Take care Pirya! Is Kamala back?
Ferrari,
Thanks for the support.
Kamala is not back yet. In a few days.
Priya.
just wanted to say that u write beautifully and I love your words always...
it's a cloudy day here too...albeit, very gloomy..
enig
Post a Comment