My father, master of multi-tasking, was good at finding newer and faster ways to do things. Many years ago, my mother was unwell and he had to take over the cooking at home. He had an early morning appointment at work and all of us children were school-going youngsters.
Appa believed in balanced, tasty meals - and could whip one up if necessary and given time. But how to turn out a full-course South Indian meal in a short time? We only had a two-burner gas stove at the time, and a full-course meal needed sambar, rasam, one dry vegetable, and rice.
So Appa decided to use the pressure cooker. In one go, he made rice, sambar and rasam in the pressure cooker, and used the other burner of the stove to prepare a delicious vegetable side dish.
This is how he did it: in three stackable cooker vessels, he arranged the ingredients for the dishes.
Vessel 1 contained these ingredients for sambar:
2.5 cups juice juice extracted from small lime-sized lump of tamarind
2.5 tsps sambar powder
half cup uncooked prewashed toor dal (you may not want to add this directly; see Method given below for details)
radish (or carrots) cut into slices
Salt to taste
curry leaves
Vessel 2 contained these ingredients for rasam:
2.5 cups juice extracted from half lime-sized tamarind lump
2-3 small tomatoes, quartered
curry leaves
1.5 tsp rasam powder
salt to taste
little less than quarter cup of uncooked prewashed toor dal
Vessel 3 contained these ingredients for rice:
2 cups raw rice, washed well
4 cups water
Method: Stack all vessels in the pressure cooker after adding water at the base (I'm assuming that you have basic pressure cooker experience, so keeping the description short). (For the sambar, you may want to cook the dal in a smaller bowl inserted in the larger stackable container. Reason for this separate dal container being this: dal doesn't become pulpy like you need for sambar, unless cooked in plain water. Add quarter tsp of turmeric and 1 cup water for the half cup of washed toor dal). Cook on high heat. When pressure cooker whistle blows, reduce heat to medium and cook for five more minutes and turn stove off.
Wait 15-20 minutes before opening pressure cooker. In a separate saute dish, add few tsps oil and do the tadka with mustard, urad dal, pinch of asafoetida and one red chilli. Add cooked sambar (along with dal, if cooked separately) to this and boil for 2-3 minutes. Add more water if necessary. Mash up the dal in the sambar but don't mash up the cooked veggies. Make a paste of 1 tsp rice flour or cornstarch with water and add to sambar for thickening, if needed. Turn off stove. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Similarly in another dish, add cooked rasam and more water if necessary. Boil on medium heat till it froths up. Turn off stove. In a separate seasoning dish, add a few tsps ghee and do the tadka with mustard and some jeera. Add this tadka to the rasam. Garnish with cilantro. Add a chilli to the tadka if you want hotter rasam. Squeeze some lemon/lime juice if you want a more tart rasam.
Rice is ready as-is. Eat a hearty meal of sambar, rice, and rasam - along with a vegetable or raitha of your choice. Great way to cook for those short of time.
-----
*This post is a tribute to my father, who is no longer with us.
31 comments:
Hey Priya,
Condolences from S and me to you and your family. Our prayers are with you and your loved ones during these troubled and difficult times. I do not have any words that can even come close to comforting you but do hope that you know and can handle this situation as well as you can.
Do take care.
With love, hug and prayer,
Dooka
Priya,
I love the idea of stacking and cooking in the cooker... I will surely try just the rice and the sambhar!
Thanks for sharing.
Love,
dooks
Dear Priya,
Don't know what to say...May god give you the strength to handle this.
vi
OMG, when I started reading the post, I was kind of dreading reaching the end. I am very sorry! Sending prayers to you and your family.
condolences priya. may his soul rest in peace.
ano
condolences ... may his soul rest in peace ... and hugs ... u hang in there ... god bless
hey priya,
Just read this. And like the other readers, I too am at a loss for words.
hugs for you and your family. You take care .
P. s I do hope you make more meals like this. Not to save time, but to remember your dad and the good moments
heart felt condolences.
With prayers
May his soul rest in peace.
May God give you and all your family members strength and courage to bear this loss.
I'm sure you dad will be with you always in spirit and will be guiding you through all walks of your life.
Take care Priya,
Love,
Raji
Priya,
My deepest condolences,
hugs
-Arul
I'm very sorry for your loss Priya. My heartfelt condolences. Take care.
Priya..ny heartfelt condolences :(
Take care
My deepest condolences, bless all of you - may you be strong enough to withstand your lost
May his soul rest in peace.
And may god give you enough strenth to get through the troubled times.
:(
with hugs and prayers for your family.
Dear Friends,
Thank you for your kind messages. This is a hard loss to bear, but I feel blessed to have known such a wonderful person for so many years.
And I feel blessed to know so many caring people, both on and offline.
Regards,
Priya.
Oh Priya *hugs*. No words.
Herez another hug frm me priya..
'Everything happens for a reason'
tc
including the sambhar..if I manage to make it..:-)
I'd been reading your posts on cancer and the ordeal you & your family had been going through but I was always at loss for words and could not comment. You were silently in my prayers.
Heartfelt commiserations.
Do take care.
Deepest condolences to you and your family! I'm sorry if it sounds crude but guess you should console yourself about him been relieved from the pain and suffering(equally felt by his loved ones)!
Dearest Priyam!
take care...
hugs
ardra
Dear willowtree, ginkgo,aria, me too, and ardra,
Thank you for your support. Means a lot to me.
Priya.
priya,
visiting after a long time...
only to know that u lost one more well wisher...
what say?
one thing for sure,
this will make you more stronger...
endrum anbudan,
ranga
Ranga,
Thanks for the reassuring words. Hope all's well in your part of the world.
Priya.
Aaah Priya :((
I feel like crying myself.
Take care.
I know no amount of consoling can take away the grief.
Dear SK,
Thanks for the warm note. There are so many facets of our life where fathers make a mark. And remembering that can be a comfort.
Take care,
Priya.
Dear Priya
My heartfelt condolences on your father's demise. I've been following ever since you told us about his illness. I hope that you find the strength to get through these difficult times.
Please take care.
Dear Priya,
I am so sorry to hear of your loss, and because you have written of him, we all know what a tremendous loss this is. I wish you all the strength and love you can possibly take in. This post is a beautiful tribute to Appa, and it shows that his influence will sustain you always.
Love,
Betty
Dear Ammani and Betty,
Thank you for your comforting words.
Priya.
hey priya he indeed is very innovative.
no one can fill the palce and loss. i lost my dada 4 yrs back and still ahve not recoverd from the pain. Time heals they say but not all wounds
Post a Comment