Monalisa sat in her parlor, looking forlornly at what the day has become, after such a promising start. No matter what she said, people kept taking it the wrong way. She couldn't figure it out.
Why do people complicate their lives? What's wrong with living simply where people say what they mean and mean what they say, exactly the way things are worded? Why do people get uninintended messages, by repeatedly reading between the lines, when the meaning is plain and clear, out there, spelt the way it should be on those lines! That's what Monalisa had wanted to know.
Life can be so joyful when its kept simple. But people insist on generating complications when none exist. And such people seemed all over the place!
Her beloved aunt had walked off in a huff when she said she felt like taking a walk alone today, as it was beautiful outside. She had understood it as her presence being unwanted, as a presence that makes the day less beautiful. Mona wanted to get rid of me, she thought, she must hate her own aunt that much! She had walked off before Monalisa had a chance to speak.
Monalisa had decided to straighten that out soon after her walk. On the way, she had run into an acquaintance, admired her pretty necklace, and in a tone of awe, said that the necklace was in such good taste.
"Oh, really?" said the acquaintance, raising her eyebrows. "You seem surprised....You think a simpleton like me should have no taste in jewelry? And it is surprising that today I have actually worn something to Her Highness'es liking?"
The tirade had continued, until Mona walked away bewildered.
She had returned, tried to talk to her aunt, but no matter what she said, her aunt found something to take offense about. Finally, Mona had thrown up her arms.
"Oh, aunt Elizabeth - I love you! You know that....you are such good company when you aren't so sensitive!"
Her aunt had glared at her in return.
"So...you're saying I'm insufferable when I'm sensitive....you accept me and can suffer through my company only conditionally. When I speak the way you want me to. Hah! So much for unconditional love!"
And she had stomped off.
Monalisa decided to go elsewhere, to clear her mind. Walked into the kitchen, saw that the helper girl had cut the vegetables into uniform shapes and arranged them neatly. Tells her that the vegetables looked well-washed and beautifully cut today. The helper bursts into tears.
"So...that means I have cut things in a shoddy way all along! I never believed you would say that, Madame! Woe is me...".
The helper runs to Monalisa's grandmother, and is comforted by her.
"There, there, dear! Don't you bother what Madame Monalisa says. She doesn't know how to talk, and we all know that..."
So there sat poor Monalisa, alone in her parlor. The gardener had just asked for a few days absence, citing an illness. Kindhearted Monalisa had acquiesced, even though the gardens in her mansion needed daily maintenance. She sits looking out the window at his receding form, as her husband enters.
Monalisa: The gardener is out for a few days, and the flowers maybe overrun with weeds pretty soon. I hope the garden will still look presentable, even if not as beautiful as it usually is.
Husband: So - you're saying that I shouldn't blame you if things fall apart...
Monalisa: No, I did not say that..What happened to you today? Why do you say things that I didn't mean?
Husband: So you say I'm imagining things....
Monalisa: When did I say that?
Husband: You're calling me a liar, then!
Monalisa: No...why would you think that?
Husband: From what you said!
Monalisa: What did I say?
Husband: Aha! You're feigning ignorance now - very clever! I know what you mean and why you're doing this.
Monalisa: (puzzled) Umm....why?
Husband: You know why. Come on, out with the truth.
Monalisa: What truth?!
Husband: I believe you have a grudge against me, from when I didn't buy you that ring you were eyeing, and so you've done this.
Monalisa: Done what?
Husband: Sent the gardener away to rest for a while, so that things fall apart.
Monalisa: But he's been frail and weak for a while, so I was concerned!
Husband: That's your preemptive escape clause!
Monalisa: Pree...preemptive what?
Husband: Look, I don't have time for this - I need to go. But you must change your attitude and be direct, sweetheart!
(kisses her absently, picks up coat and leaves)
Monalisa: ?!!!
A small child comes running into the room.
Child: Mamma, mamma - look what I found, a pretty flower!
Monalisa: (kisses the child) Oh, that's so sweet....run along now and eat breakfast.
Child: Will you come with me?
Monalisa: No, honey. Mamma has a headache.
Child: Very well (she traipses off)
Monalisa sighs. At least the child understood what I meant!
She sits there with a smile, a smile that is happy, weary and bewildered. Her friend Leonardo walks in, and looks at her.
"Hey, what a smile, lady! Stay there and do not move!" says he.
Runs back to his studio and brings a canvas. He paints her as is, a beautiful replica, in one straight session. When done, he asks:
"So...what does that smile mean?"
She smiles at him, patting his arm.
"Whatever you think it means, dear Leonardo!"
"Ah! I understand"
And the scientist, painter and inventor had left it at that. Thank the good Lord.
And from that point, Monalisa answered with her famous smile, any query from the ubiquitous complication-generators she encountered. Why waste words, when they all interpret things the way they want to?
People say I don't know how to talk, she thought. But it is they, who don't know how to listen!
From that day she saved her energy for children, for nature, for those like her who were lost in a maze of complicated souls. For those simple folks who knew how to listen, to really understand. For the rest, there was that smile. The Monalisa smile.
It became immortal.
--------
*A work of pure fiction, with due apologies to Leonardo Da Vinci.
12 comments:
Priya,
This one was so different. I guess you have given the best explanation for Monalisa's mysterious smile. I wish Dan Brown gets to read this :-)
But so true.. some days are like this. Even the simplest things one says are misunderstood.
Swanima
Oh I so agree! Why waste words when people interpret them the way they want to ...
I think Da Vinci would be settle for this story happily :-)
nice one Priyamvada. but ... aren't there some things that cannot be communicated by words alone that needs interpretation in context? :)
wow !!! good one there Priya.. nice interpretation !!! irony is .. all along you say what you say is what exactly you mean .. but there is a possibility of this or a bigger story behind that smile ! I guess "between lines" will always play a more important role than the actual lines themselves !
Very entertaining. I have always been intrigued by Mona Lisa's eyes than her smile. Anyone else?
Ciao for now...
Teri
Swanima - thanks. I guess we've all had our Monalisa moments :)
crab - welcome! indeed, with some people words are wasted.
bleu and cheti - true, in some cases, context is important. But looking for context can be overdone. Some people find layers in even single-layered direct speech, and that's frustrating :)
simple bangalorean - welcome! Glad you liked the blog.
Teri - thanks. Glad you found it entertaining. Good point about Monalisa's eyes. I haven't thought of them that way. Will google and see them again.
Priya.
If Dan Brown does some ego surfing, I am sure his name will pop up in Priya's blog and he will end up reading it:-)
Priya, once again, a different subject and a beautiful blog!
Meghana
very interesting...btw, i've been told that i tend to read too much between the lines- imagining unintended connotations- thinking again, I do think hubby dear gives me those "monalisaic smiles" out of sheer exasperation! ;-)
:-)
Priya,
Nice.Had me grinning on how true it is.The people who read between the lines though,I think,are just the folks who're so insecure they think everything's being targeted at them.
ah very true - id say the same as bleu - da vinci would have loved this story better ;)
Meghana - thanks.
Ardra - go easy on hubby, dear :)
rajbow - welcome! Glad the blog made you smile.
Raagarupini - I hear you :)
visithra - thank you.
Priya.
Post a Comment