The phone was ringing a few times and just when it was about to go to voice mail, I heard his
"Hello?"
"Frank, this is Priya. How are you?"
A confused silence - I wonder if he's forgotten me. But that can't be - I'm not that forgettable ;).
Frank taught a class two years ago at my company. I was his best student, and our friendship grew from there.....We met each other whenever we were in the same town - which didn't happen very often. At a subliminal level, we both know there is a strong mutual attraction - but overall, its been kept at friendship.
"Excuse me - the reception is bad here, lot of noise...who's this again?"
"This is Priya, from xyz_town"
"Oh...." I can sense his smile. That felt good.
"Priya! How have you been? Long time!"
"I know...so, are you doing okay? I mean with hurricane Emily trying to come ashore and all...are you alright?"
"Yeah - my motorcycle has been locked up. So are all valuables and stuff.."
"You evacuating?"
"No actually - our council decided not to evacuate the town. We anticipate 70-80 mph winds only, so the decision right now is not to evacuate. By the way, do you know I am now a councilman?"
Yesssss!
"You got elected? Wow, you never told me!"
"I didn't? Well - yes I am. Don't know if its a good thing or not, but I got elected!" I can sense that smile again, and I'm sure he sensed my joy.
"Frank, I am SO happy for you. Congratulations! Now where's my T shirt?"
The T-shirt being referred to was one of those printed with "Frank - for City Council" in the run up to the elections. When he was in town last year, he had downplayed the whole election process, saying he wondered if he'll ever win. Said he had decided to run because he was concerned about the state of the town - at the way people were polluting the famous tourist destination. He felt he had to do something about it.
I thought he was doing it for a lark. Frank is a man of many talents - a computer professional, champion sand sculptor, windsurfer, painter, teacher - so many things. He is kind, sweet, brilliant and decent. I just never thought politics would be one of his talents. I had laughingly asked for one of those election T-shirts, and he had equally laughingly waved his hand and said "Oh, I'll get you a T-shirt. Don't worry! Haha!"
I'm glad he won the election, and am amused as well.....I have friends with varying interests, and even more varied views - from liberal bohemians to Christian conservatives; from doctors to actors to street vendors.
Never thought I'd add "politician" to that list. Frank, I'm very proud of you. Stay safe, and I hope Emily is gentle to the town you care so much about. And don't forget my T-shirt :)
2 comments:
That was a very sweet post..:-)
friend of a 'politician'.....hmmm sounds good in US of A.
can u think of the same in our beloved country?
the flow of writing is smooth and simple.
Post a Comment