Friday, May 01, 2009

Mother's Day is Coming

We don't celebrate Mother's Day in India - at least we didn't while I was growing up. We had lots of sayings exalting the mother and motherhood in general.

Maatru devo bhava...

goes one shloka. Mother is God. We have a similar saying in Tamil,

Thaayir siRandha koyilum illai

No temple is as sacred as the mother. Another one:

Maata Pita Guru deivam

Godliness in manifest in the Mother, the Father, the Teacher and the Almighty - in that order. The Mother is always mentioned first.

In the US we have Mother's Day celebrations. Shops wear a festive look with Mother's Day merchandise. Telephone companies have a classic problem called Mother's Day Problem - the volume of phone calls on this day test the line and wireless capacity. Movie theaters advertise "Buy one ticket, get one free" deals for mothers who bring children for a movie on Mother's Day.

In the same spirit, there is a tag going around about motherhood and what one likes about it. Nice to have something positive going around in these days when one only hears of the Swine Flu going around! Shankari tagged me to write about the top five things I like about being a mother.

I thought about this, and the things that came to mind are pretty basic, actually.

Scent is #1: the scent of a baby's skin is something indescribably endearing - try smelling a newborn, and you'll see what I mean (no diaper jokes please). Every person has a scent, and the scent of one you love can be incredibly comforting. In India children would sometimes sleep very well when a mother's saree is used as a blanket. Makeshift baby hammocks called thuLi in Tamil, are usually made from an old saree of the baby's mother. The baby is gently rocked in this hammock, and the mother's scent soothes the baby enough to ensure sound sleep.

Touch is #2: the hugs, the kisses, the high fives, the sleepy cuddles....sometimes you can guage a child's mood merely by the child's touch. Sleepy cuddles are the best when child and parent are the most mellow.

Sound is #3: any parent can instantly recognize their child's voice on the phone. And feel a rush of emotions - parents of teens may nod sarcastically here :). The cry of a baby, the babble of a toddler....a whole range of sounds, in all decibels and frequencies. ThirukkuRaL, the Tamil classic says,

kuzhal inidhu yAzh inidhu enbar
tham makkaL mazhalai sol kELAdhavar

Sweet are the sounds of the flute and the lute, say those who have not heard the sweet speech of their toddlers. Basically according to the ThirukkuRal, nothing is sweeter than toddlerspeak. To this I will add a corollary: sometimes nothing is more frustrating, when they are throwing a tantrum and cannot say clearly why they are upset :).

Under sound also comes reading to my child. This started when she was a baby and continues (touch wood). My favorite part of the day is bedtime, when we read and go to sleep. Soon she will grow up, and we may not get this time. Let me cherish it when I can.

Random humor/fresh perspective is #4: You are rushing to drop off your preschooler who is late for school. Preschooler dawdles in parking lot, staring at something. You realize she is staring at a bird coming in and out of the designs on a wrought iron fence, and marveling at the beauty of this movement. You stop to watch despite growing impatience - but gain an appreciation of things you haven't bothered to notice.

Random humor in our house is very Dr.Seuss. "Amma, quit trying to be funny!", Kamala will wail when she wants me to be serious about something. To this my reply would be something like "Quit trying to be a bunny!". Makes no sense, but we laugh anyway.

Trust is #5: A child's trust is absolute. They believe we have all the answers and that's a pretty powerful - if scary - affirmation. When Kamala was younger she followed me around, and tried to do everything I did. She thought I was the coolest person on Earth. Now that is changing, but she still thinks I'm cool in some ways. I better hang on to that while it lasts :)

Sometimes the trust is a parent's undoing: we don't have all the answers, and children have trouble understanding that. Parent and child struggle through and reach a resolution....hopefully a working one. Whatever else happens, I hope the trust and the bond remain, and the sharing due to the inherent trust remains. That is all one can wish and hope for.

Now I will tag Scarlett, whose mother-daughter posts I have enjoyed reading. The other mothers I want to tag have already been tagged. The original tag started here.

10 comments:

Vinod said...

Hi Priyamavada !!

You are a lovely mother for sure !! Today being my Mom's b'day - this post is even giving a much more happines to me aand I relish all the best moments with my mom !! Wish you a Very Happy Mother's day !! Enjoy all the moments with Kamala as a Mom - She will also !!

Anonymous said...

Wow!

I couldn't have put it better - Way to go "Cool" mommy :)

Libran Lover said...

I am not a parent myself, but I had recent experiences with numbers 1 and 3.

Having grown up in a joint family, there was a birth of some extended cousin, nephew or niece almost every other year or so for most of my life. There has been a break in the arrival of new babies in my extended family for the past 10 years or so as the currently eligible generation is taking its own time to marry and make babies. This past January, I was back home where my sister had her first baby and the smells triggered so many memories.

Just last night, I called home and my sister picked up the phone. After talking to her, while I was waiting for my mother to come on the line, I could hear the baby's sounds and it really tugged my heart. At that moment, I had time to think how much more intense my feelings would have been if the sounds were of my own child and she was half a globe away!

Even here in the US, like most bachelors, I am annoyed by the screaming and out of control behavior of young kids in public places (esp those where silence is preferred like during a puja at the temple)... But once in a while, the wail of a small baby brings out feelings of tenderness and protection.

LL

Meghana Joshi said...

Lovely blog Priyam! Or should I say "cool mommy" Every mother can relate to your blog. Love the scent of the newborn.. though DH insists that it's not the baby, it's the baby lotion:-)

Compassion Unlimitted said...

Bonds in life ,always beautifully expressed in your posts
TC
CU

Priyamvada_K said...

Vinod,
Happy birthday to your mom. Thanks for the wishes.

Shankari,
Thanks - this tag was close to my heart and was easy to do.

Libran,
So you know #1 and #3 already based on your niece. One thing you'll find when you become a parent is that you become fully alert to calls of 'mom'/'dad' from any child in a public place. Its an automatic reflex.

Meghana,
LOL. Scent of lotion? Naaah...

Btw, please feel free to do this tag. Didn't tag you because you seem to be blossoming into a poet these days and I didn't want to distract you with a tag. I read your butterfly blog. What a lovely tribute to motherhood!

Compassion Unlimited,
Thank you. Where will we be without the bonds of love in life?

Regards,
Priya.

Anonymous said...

Done Priya, please hop back to my blog and read my post :)

Thanks so much for tagging me :)

Unknown said...

How about honouring your mother by helping another mother who is striving to make a better life for her family.

http://www.giveindia.org/t-giveindia-mothers-day.aspx

GiveIndia is a transparent and trustworthy way to help Indians living in poverty.

Rajavel said...

Did you delete a blog ?

Priyamvada_K said...

cheti,
Yes, I moved it to "draft" status. Was a while back, though.

Priya.