A few days ago, I chanced upon a post by one of my blogger pals, Libran Lover. Poor LL, in utter frustration, wrote a post titled I hate women.
On some days, I can fully empathize with LL's frustration. There are days when the women of my household spin my head.....Perhaps because I have to be in a masculine mode most of the time as a working single mom. My mother lives with us these days, and when I come home, I deal with two "women" - Kamala and my mom. I am their hunter-gatherer, and protector - the one to whom they vent their stresses. If they need anything, they only have me to turn to. They get competitive: Kamala is used to having me all to herself, and resents my mother's speaking to me even though she loves her grandmother. My mother, still recovering from the loss of her husband of over four decades, looks to me for strength and companionship. When Kamala pushes her limits, my mother comes to me.
I forget my feminine side - one that simply listens to women and does nothing, allowing the mood to pass. I try to "solve" their problems and end up with ire for trying to fix the problem. And this, I realize is men's singular complaint - that their well-intentioned efforts land them in deeper trouble!!
Men are from Mars, and Women are from Venus.....At times, I am a woman from Mars :)). My role does that to me. The women in my household can let loose their feminine moods: they can vent, unleash their stresses on me, but where do I go?
Some days I end up reacting like a typical man: by asking them to leave me alone, to give me some space to think....The end result of this is one sorrowful lady, and one sulking kid.
Some days my own moods overcome me. I am not a "suitable man" - this is a role ill-suited to me. For instance, when planning for a natural disasters like hurricanes and storms, I cannot be calm like a man. Outwardly I am calm. But I worry like a woman: wondering how to protect my family, whether I will have everything in order, whether I will forget some detail.....And how the heck do I hammer down 17 sheets of plywood into place?
On top of this I have to calm down the two women in my family. Is this what men face? Are they just as scared when a force of nature threatens their family? Is the calmness only outward?
Being a man can be exhausting when you're not born one.
*-*-*-*
During such moods, men are a solace to hang out with, as friends. They have a different kind of energy from women, and it is a change to be around them after getting "pounded" by the women in my household. But the perplexing thing is, sometimes even they expect me to be "feminine".
A male friend of mine blurted out once, in utter frustration at my direct way of stating things: "Women should be like women!!"
Bud, I would love to be a womanly woman. There are no knights in shining armor in my life at this time. I have forgotten what it is to be protected, cared for, and cherished. I don't know how to leave the "protection" mode to another, and rest easy. I would if I could. I would love to dress beautifully and walk gracefully in the silk sarees that are lying neglected in a trunk in my closet....I know how to. Except if I have to run errands and lift heavy loads, a silk saree won't be the appropriate attire.
I dress in jeans. On good days I remember to wear ear-rings and lip gloss. If "demure" is your definition of woman, I cannot afford to be that......If I speak indirectly and hint at things, I can never get anything done. If someone gives me nonsense, I have to battle them in no uncertain terms - I don't have a man to do it for me.
I guess I have to resign myself to being a Woman from Mars.
25 comments:
Now, imagine how much worse it would be for a man who is caught between two women who share a Mother-in-law / Daughter-in-law relationship!
I feel for you, Priya. I hope you are able to eke out lot of time for yourself to recharge and refresh yourself. If there is nobody else to help you with that, you HAVE to help yourself.
LL,
So true about man caught between his wife and mother. What to do, some women are possessive.
I'm exhausted from all the hurricane stress. Lying low for a while. After that, I'll see about time for myself :). Thanks for the soothing words.
Priya.
hi priya,
i know it is tough...i was bread winner for my parental family for sometime when my father when we were young...to be a woman in man's shoes is almost like cross dressing..
u have to be strong even if u dont want to..
but once u wear this hat....u r always more a "Man from venus'...than a woman from mars...
but unwinding is must
cheers
Hi Priya,
I am an avid reader of your blog and I salute you for the courage, positivity and self-respect you display in all your life decisions (as I have read). I am so motivated and encouraged by you!
Maybe the simple thing for this issue is to ask for five minutes to change your clothes and wash your face before you hear the complaints - this could give you the breathing space to get into the complaint listening mode. Also for your worries, even this unseen community of your blog readers are praying for you and wishing you al the best.
Keep up your spirit and remebere a woman with your self respect and grace will always retain her feminity no matter what the situation.
We pray for you and your family's safety.
Love,
purvi
Hi Uma,
That observation was very apt...it IS like cross-dressing, and you are never quite what a situation requires you to be. And I liked the "Man from Venus" phrase :)
Priya.
Hello Purvi,
Thank you for being a regular reader of my blog (even though I don't post as often these days). And thanks especially for the prayers and kind thoughts.
We made through the hurricane ok, with minimal damages. Thank God.
Thank you for your suggestion about getting breathing space. I am trying different ways, hopefully one will work out.
Priya.
I think once in way being a woman to the women in the family might help as well,...they too will realise their importance, responsibilities.....and that you are trying hard to be a woman from mars.
Dear Anon,
"I think once in way being a woman to the women in the family might help as well"
That is spot on! I have told my daughter that I am getting older, and my energy level is going down. She needs to help me if she wants her mom to stay healthy and alive :). That works sometimes but she needs reminding.
Will think about being a woman once in a while....to let go. This trying to be strong backfires sometimes - I cannot even make myself cry. I get angry and frustrated even when the real feeling is exhaustion/sadness :(
Useful advice. Thank you.
Priya.
Dear Priya,
Hugs to you. I hope it all works out soon -sometimes all that you need to do is to give life some time and the reins.
You are a very special woman - and I mean that sincerely. Take care of your precious self :)
Love,
Scarlett
Dear Scarlett,
Thanks for the soothing words. Hope all is well with you and the lovely Miss.A.
Priya.
Everything will be fine,You are definitely doing great
Seasons Greetings
TC
CU
Dear CU,
Thanks for the wishes, and the reassuring words.
Season's greetings to you too!
Priya.
hey Priya..wanted to check on u earlier! glad to hear that u did okay with the hurricane...I moved to ur tinsel town a few months back and amidst telling everyone that I love the weather here, which was a nice welcome change from the midwest cold...I stumbled across the hurricane..and now I no longer feel the same about the weather :) the sheer panic of the impending hurricane would stress anyone out I think...especially if you're the only person responsible for ur daughter and mom...I'm barely finding my rhythm back after all that commotion and now one month later, it seems as if nothing ever happened...amazing..
take care,
enig
Enig,
So nice of you to check. I know what you mean by midwest cold - I was there too. Glad to know you are in my town - hope your area wasn't damaged much.
Lots of people were/are stressed by the hurricane. When I returned to work I saw tired faces, dark rings around eyes, and an overall look of exhaustion. That exhaustion was there for weeks. As the body ages it doesn't rebound so quickly from such things either :D
Hope we don't see another hurricane - ever :)!
Priya.
Enig,
Addendum to my earlier comment: if you are the same enig I knew as the enig of the distant horizon....welcome back!
Priya.
Wow, just openned your blog by chance Priya, and as usual, beautiful thoughtful post.
I am able to relate to it.
Yes, men do have a different kind of energy, they are so much more calmer is difficult situations. But I am sure women can develop the same attitude, as well, just like you have, and be a strong personality.
We as women have the ability to be strong when needed, and be 'demure' when we want to.
Priya, even if you were given an option to be a women who would be taken care of by a man, we are too independent to continue living in such a situation.
Dear SK,
Nice to see you here, and thanks for the thoughtful comment.
Yes, we do have the ability to be strong when we want to. The desire to be protected, once in a while, is nevertheless there. We are too independent to let someone take care of us 100% of the time, but would be nice to have a man to nail down the plywood, repair the home when needed and do such 'manly' stuff :)).
Priya.
very insightful, priyamvada. speaks volumes of your awareness of yourself, and those around you. i can't but help stop here, and throw in some hugs, if that would be of any help whatsoever.
wrt the definition of a woman, to me, it is 'strength', and i see lots of that in the writer of this blog. may His grace continue to provide you inner strength.
love and prayers.
Dear Dharma,
Thank you, and hugs back!
Priya.
Priya
Very beautiful post. Its true, we often develop new personality traits based on our circumstances.
--naan
na_an,
True. Some of those personalities may not be what we wanted to develop - but we do so out of necessity :)
Priya.
You're not just a woman from mars(loved that expression); you're a superwoman!
LAK,
Welcome to my blogspot. Thank you for the kind words.
Cheers,
Priya.
I always wondered why i love Suhasini, Revathy, Madhuri Dixit...strong woman characters..but now..i know its bcoz they were all from Mars(atleast on screen with their potrayal)! Next time it gets too much, how about thinking you are one of them ;) On the other hand..be happy you don't have to deal with Man from Venus in your family. Would be "three" much!
Motorama,
LOL at Man from Venus. Oh, boy - those are hard to deal with! :D
Priya.
Post a Comment