Sunday, June 29, 2008

The "booky" tag

I have been tagged by na_an. Was tagged a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't get around to doing the tag. Someone else tagged me 2 months back, and I haven't done that tag as yet....Now there is one more tag.....Aaaaaaa! :) If I have missed your tag, sorry.

I liked this particular tag as it was simple, and came just at the time when I decided to catch up on my reading.

I finished reading "God of Small Things". The book depressed me - not just the story, but the unrelenting morbidity that preoccupied the main characters. But the writing style was original, and the build up to the climax was good. I felt that the author could have done away with some crude words/language here and there.

Presently reading "A Matter of Life and Death" by Rosemary Altea. The author is a spiritual healer, and has worked as a medium, helping people communicate with loved ones lost to death. As per the tag rules, Page 123 in the book, the fifth sentence onwards, reads:

"We just want to send messages to the two boys we left behind."
Will and Jeff went on to talk about their other brothers, Jim, aged thirty, and Charles, twenty-five. They told us they had seen the ring, and it was beautiful. Brother Jim is newly engaged and designed the ring himself.


I bet you can't make head or tail out of that passage :D. I picked up this book on a whim, seeing that it had a review by Carolynn Myss, whose book I liked. So far it has been a fascinating read.

Not tagging anyone :)

2 comments:

dharmabum said...

i never did like god of small things

Priyamvada_K said...

Dharma,
I hear you - I read the book from beginning to end because I didn't want to dismiss it offhand. Many times I had to take breaks as it was a depressing read.

The author knew her subject - and seeing that it is about two children's lost childhoods.....with self-absorbed adults all around, the story is tragic indeed.

But I felt the author was deliberately trying to be provocative in some places - and I'm not talking about the love scene in the end. The sprinkling of crude language in unnecessary places jarred me. That, and the morbid tone....my mind keeps whispering "But it is a morbid subject"....Oh well :)

Priya.