Thursday, February 07, 2008

Handbag tales

I stand in the department store's accessories section, and wonder at the array of handbags up for sale. They are laid out in great variety, ranging from unassuming clutch purses to flashy designer handbags. They are in several shades - made of felt, cloth, leather - and decorated with different embellishments. Yet, most of them don't fit my needs.

I wonder whom the bag makers are targeting - women to whom the style of the exterior matters, while the interior can pretty much be the same? I see that bag after bag has just two compartments, a larger one for make-up, papers and such; and a smaller one for money. A few bags have a third, and smallest compartment - for coins, perhaps. Why should there be only two, or at most three compartments? What is the point of this many bags, if only the exterior looks different?

Perhaps the bags are made for women who would use them merely as an accessory to match their dress? Or, it could be that the handbag designers haven't caught up with the modern day working woman...

A handbag to me is not a style statement. Its a snapshot of my lifestyle, in a sense. I do not have the time - or the patience - to match my handbag with my dress and nailcolor everyday. I wonder how many working mothers would have the patience to get up each morning, and repack their driver's license, credit cards, store cards, library cards, insurance cards, bits-and-pieces, hand sanitizer, child-size band-aids, contact lens liquid, and mints - into a different color-coordinated handbag each day and still manage to not miss anything.

And I wonder how many women will feel that they have to settle for a bag that falls far short of their expectations. Perhaps some women will buy a wallet in addition, and place it inside the bag.

At any rate, handbag shopping leaves me in disbelief at how little thought has gone into the design of most women's handbags. Perhaps the designers are mostly men, with no clue as to what a woman may need, or want? Here's what this particular woman wants, and she suspects many other women may want too:

1. A bag in black, brown, navy, off-white or even a cool metallic shade - basically, one color that matches all clothes.

2. In addition to the standard 2 or 3 compartments, a pouch for a cellphone - in an easy-to-reach place.

3. A pouch for keys, badges and such.

4. A separate area to stack ID cards, drivers license, credit cards, insurance cards - you name it.

5. Another area for coupons, and receipts.

6. A smaller place for an ipod, perhaps.

7. A sturdy strap, to bear all the weight we carry. Working mothers carry an awful lot of things - and we don't want a leather-strap-stitched-to-the-base-by-thread kind of deal. That kind of strap is pretty much useless, as it comes off the base in a few months. For better durability, the strap should be attached to the base with steel rings. The steel bears the weight much better, and transfers it to the base more easily.

Now that is a handbag that I can live with.

After searching in a few stores, finally there is one that fits my needs. But the bag comes in two rather insipid-looking colors: mustard brown, and grey. I settle for one, glad that the search is over, but as I leave the store, I can't help wishing that the handbag were more sexy-looking.

Come on, designers!! Women have evolved over the decades and are balancing multiple roles. Still the humble handbag hasn't evolved at all. The sexy-looking handbag has a dull interior. The dull-looking handbag (found after a LONG search) has all the features I want. Why should handbag selection be almost as difficult as mate selection? :-J Can't I have a handbag with beauty, brains and a generous heart in one place? :-)

------------------------
P.S: Valentine's Day shoppers - if you're going to gift a bag to your lady love, do consider the above points while shopping for one. Your lady will be pleased at your thoughtfulness. You can come back and thank me :-)

11 comments:

Sindhu said...

Good post, Priyamvada.
I agree that a handbag should be spacious. I actually carry a book in my handbag:):)
Many a time, I wonder as to how some women manage to carry those really tiny handbags that look snazzy to look at..wonder what they contain inside or do they actually contain something?!!
Have been reading your posts..and I really appreciate yr writing.
:)

Priyamvada_K said...

Thank you, Sindhu.

Priya.

aria said...

I often go through a similar ordeal when shopping handbags for my mother .. hehe its always fun selecting one coz we end up spending the whole day looking for the right kind ..
I do agree that utility & beauty both are tough to find in one piece .. my Ma wants both and in addition it should suit her age .. which makes the selection even more complicated .
One line I really enjoyed is..
"Why should handbag selection be almost as difficult as mate selection? " :D

Priyamvada_K said...

Aria,
You are such a sport, saying that it's fun selecting a handbag. I'm not blessed with such patience :). Maybe I should just ask you for the name of the store, and do my handbag shopping in India. Saves time, what? :)

Why do men design handbags and women's shoes? Sigh....Its the same story, finding a comfortably-fitting-but-sexy-looking woman's shoe.

Priya.

Anonymous said...

I am so with you on this one Priya, WHO has the time to swap handbags? What kind of real people have this time anyway?

Please hop over to my blog by the way, you have been tagged. Please take up the tag :)

Heartcrossings said...

I totally agree ! Handbag shopping is an excruciatingly painful and tnakless job. Love the specs for your dream bag. I have the same issue with boots. Cute and comfortable just don't seem to go together.

Priyamvada_K said...

Dear Scarlett,
Thank you for tagging me. Will take up the tag this weekend.

Dear HC,
Boots - yes. I have a pair that I thought were good, but couldn't wear them for a full day. Cute and comfortable - ah! We need female designers who have a good sense of what's practical.

Priya.

Rajavel said...

wow ! Enlightening ! :D

Anonymous said...

finding handbags is one thing. carrying them everywhere is another. somethimes it gets on my nerves. many a times I wish I could just walk out without that thing hanging on to my shoulder. sigh. .are'nt men blessed that way?:-(

Priyamvada_K said...

Cheti,
:). Don't they say "don't peer into a woman's handbag?". Now you know why. You'll understand a lot about her - and we women don't want that :D

Anon,
Men are blessed in many many ways. No deciding what to wear to an occasion, no uncomfortable-but-sexy-looking-heels, no handbags and such irritants.

Priya.

rajk said...

I couldn't agree with you more...I too don't have the patience for changing bags like accessories.
Couple of thing I'd like to add for my "dream" handbag:
1) It should be spacious/roomy/cavernous...you get the idea...to hold my kid's wipes, snacks, cds etc. etc.
2)It should have zipper to close the bag; I have had bags slip from my shoulder and the contents strewn all over the ground...Ugh!!