Recently read Chitra's blog on the giving tree. Re-read it a few times, to catch and savor all the layered meanings. The story of the giving tree is one that I have read in childhood. I remember being deeply moved by the tree's selflessness - the ability to give even to the point of self-destruction. How selfish we humans are, I remember thinking - just taking from nature and trees with no thought to anyone but ourselves.
Until I read Chitra's article, I didn't stop to consider the possibility that the giver is enriched by the very act of giving, by being true to their nature.
The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath: it is twice blest;
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes**
Mercy, along with its sister qualities of compassion and giving, are perhaps twice blessed, to borrow Shakespeare's words. Possibly the very act of giving, blessed the tree and the boy, who lived and grew together in harmony.
*-*-*
We find very few giving trees among us. I have had the privilege of observing such a being in close quarters, and can vouch for the fact that kindness and giving, can only come from a full heart. Regardless of a person's material wealth, it takes a richness of heart to give, and give freely.
These acts often get misjudged. There is a temptation to label such people as naive, not street-smart, unwise, or plain sucker - depending on how kind one wants to be. Of course, there are exploiters of such people too. In a world that is not just competitive but becoming increasingly individualistic, we tend to measure everything in terms of gain and loss. Giving comes with so many strings and expectations attached, as people are not accustomed to giving for its own sake. Everything is mentally labeled as mine and not mine. Extended families are becoming rare; nuclear families are falling apart, and in countries like India, one child is becoming the norm. Sharing is done only conditionally, often with the expectation of a return. Grabbing and grasping social climbers are the role models, and in such a scenario, it is hard to see a true giver's worth. We often hear dialogues such as:
"I did x, y and z but what is the use?! There is no reciprocation!"
"I tried to prove my love to her by showing how selfless I was. But the woman still didn't return my love. Ha! She's not worth it."
We hear so much of this, that even if it was in our nature to give, we become conditioned socially to expect something in return. Or when someone chastises us for being such a sucker for getting nothing in return, a part of us agrees - and we agonize in private thinking what fools we were - fools, to have been so giving! We forget that the act of giving itself is a joy. We allow other people to define us.
*-*-*
In the two dialogues quoted above, the undercurrent seems to be that the person was selfless, and yet their worth wasn't appreciated. The irony of the second dialogue is often lost. If one were selfless, where was the need to expect benefits? Isn't love - or more specifically, the type of love - something that comes naturally, and cannot be forced? For example, a man may do umpteen things for a woman to impress her, and get her to fall in love with him. The woman may like the man and respect him, but only in a platonic way. At some point the man may get peeved and think that she is ungrateful, simply because she doesn't love him in the way he wants to be loved. He thinks that his "selfless" actions have gone unrewarded.
It seems to me that this is not love, but a passive way of controlling someone. This is a person trying to steer things in the direction they want, by seemingly doing selfless and loving actions. If things don't go the way they want, they act like a martyr, and claim that other person is ungrateful. Not just in romantic relationships, but even in cases where someone wants your friendship but doesn't feel they are worthy of it. They put you on a pedestal and do things to make themselves worthy in your eyes, and expect "paybacks", which you are totally unaware of.
Even if you give them your friendship, they don't trust it. They want "proof". They have a mental calculator that they did x+y+z for you, and you have done zilch in return. They want you to do some things for them, and you don't realize this implicit expectation. You would have been happy to do this for them had they asked, but they expect you to realize this on your own. End result: they get hurt, you feel like a cad.
In reality, the natural flow of your affections/actions has become impaired due to the other person trying to steer things to where they want, while appearing to be selfless and loving. You end up angry at the person and feel annoyed with yourself for being angry, as you can't pin down a reason. You think, after all, the person has been so loving and selfless and how can you do this to them? You try to do things that they would like, to make them - and yourself - feel better. But there is an underlying hunch that what you are doing is not born from the heart out of free choice, but are forced actions in response to an implicit demand. You alternately dislike the person and dislike yourself and its just - ugly!
The act of giving has become too loaded. Where is the joy in such giving? Shouldn't some things be above the math?
*-*-*
True giving, as any truly beautiful feeling, is born out of free choice. No force, no coaxing. No martyr dramas. A person gives simply because they want to - and the giving is so natural that they barely remember it later on.
A while back, I remember reading something about emotional affordability. The article in effect, said that one must give only that which is emotionally affordable to them - as in give it, be happy, and forget it. If the emotional cost of giving is too high, expectation of a return sets in. If this expectation is not met, feelings of being used follow. If one gives only that which is emotionally affordable, then one scarcely remembers it. Its free, unfettered and joyful - and such are the gifts that are twice blessed.
Some people have high emotional affordability. They have an innate ability to rise above their own needs, be truly detached, and joyfully give much more than others. It could be that they are not suckers, but are more evolved - and have a natural generosity of heart, often coupled with a resourcefulness to generate more so that they can give more.
A true sannyasi must be a truly rich person, for he/she keeps nothing for themselves. Instead, they give what they have, leave the rest to God, and walk with their heads held high, knowing He will provide.
I have observed that as we age, our giving ability increases. Hinduism's four ashrams (stages of life), symbolize that in a way. There's the first 25 years of Brahmacharya where one grows and seeks knowledge and means to earn. Not much giving going on here, only taking. Then comes Grihastha, the stage of householder, where one earns and learns to give for the family. The next 25 years, Vanaprastha, is where one is an elder who is mentally prepared to do more for an extended family/community, and provide guidance while slowly starting to renounce control and attachment to material things. And finally the Sannyasa, where one has truly renounced attachment to worldly things and is on the path to self-realization. Any one stage is far more giving than the previous one. You keep giving in incremental amounts, until it becomes natural - or reaches the limit of a person's innate ability to give. The one who is least attached, and hence most evolved, reaches nirvana. And the cycles of birth and death (most Hindus believe in rebirth) are a path to this evolution....
The giving trees among us may be those who are higher up in the personal evolution tree. Our own growth cannot be forced, but has to happen in its own time. Meanwhile, it may be worthwhile to become more cognizant of why we give - and if we give while expecting a return, to be honest with ourselves about it. Some are gifts, and others are barter transactions...either is fine, as long as we are not confused which is which.
--------
** Excerpted from Portia's plea to the judge in Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice.
24 comments:
Priya, I'm delighted that you shared your own reflections on this subject...people fall into a pattern of expectations without realizing it. I often find myself having expectations based on what I think that person's gesture means, and not based on who they are -- they are not me! I'm still working on growing up ...
Many thanks for the acknowledgment...Im brand new to blogging and so it means a lot to hear from people who resonate with something I've posted.
Isn't it strange how we can find the kind of kinship on the Internet -- that might elude us after months or even years of social interaction !
Dear Chitra,
True about expectations - becomes a pattern unless we consciously detach and see them for what they are.
I'm glad you started blogging - you have a gift with words.
Priya.
Hi Priya
Another insightful piece from you.I particularly liked the emotional affordability part. Mostly parents sacrifice their comforts,money and everything else they have in upbringing their kids. More often than not, they feel cheated in the end because the children do not "pay back". In the process they forget the joy and feeling of satisfaction that they must have derived in upbringing their children to the best of their ability.Eventually, they have emotionally invested more than they could afford.And the children have to carry the baggage. So everybody is unhappy in the end.
Thanks for touching this subject...which seems rather incomprehensible in these fast rat- racing times. One needs to be reminded again and again of such absolute,universal and timeless virtues.
Hi Moodsandcolors,
That's a very valid point. Being a parent, though, I hope I don't fall into that mode....With parents, there's a tendency to see the child as an extension of themselves - perhaps the best part of themselves. So they lavish attention, effort - and do this joyfully. If their child grows up to view him/herself as separate, and the actions are to benefit that separate self - that is what hurts the parents, I think. This mismatch in vision - parent sees the child as part of themselves, the child pushes the parent away to establish own identity. Perhaps that feels like a rejection?
Priya.
It is most appropriate that as part of brahmacharya a child is literally given a begging bowl and asked to seek out alms or bhiksha from those who are elders and in a position to give.
Thereafter, is their time to give of themselves as they have received from others before them.
Given that we are now in the giving phase of our lives, lets not hold back but give freely and joyously of our selves! :)
Hi Priyamvada,
This time, waited a little longer than usual for your next post :)
Liked the 'Emotional affordability' part the most.
Hi Priya,
Thought provoking blog. Before coming to this place, it didn't occur to me that "giving" could change the power dynamics in a relationship (of any sort).
I remember that when I came here, and casually picked up something for someone, they thought I had a hidden agenda behind it. A kind of "Why" look.
Giving is pretty calculated here/now...not just in terms of return but - how much are you willing to spend on me/our relationship. Its like putting a price tag on the things, just spoils the whole joy of giving.
I hope everyone reads this blog and learn from it...
vi
Shankari,
Good point about the bhiksha during thread ceremony. And true, as we grow older we need to open our hearts and learn to be better givers.
Vi,
Poor you, on getting the "why" look :-). Sometimes I end up offering unconventional gifts - help with something, a hot meal, or just some homemade treat - for this reason.
Priya.
Maddy,
Welcome! andha blog ungaLudayathu dhaana? I do remember that post, and the comment too :). I think I'd bloghopped there from Shpriya's blog.
Nice to see you here,
Priya.
we can only truly 'give' something that belongs to us.
if we pause for a moment, and think - there is nothing here that truly is 'ours', for all that we have, we have gathered from the world around us.
when we start believing this, that nothing really belongs to us, we can start giving easily, and without expectations.
like all forms of 'sadhana' though, it isn't an easy task :)
enjoyed reading this post!
Maddy,
Thanks for the kind words. I have read most of Shpriya's blogs, and did a tag for her too!
Dharma,
"if we pause for a moment, and think - there is nothing here that truly is 'ours', for all that we have, we have gathered from the world around us."
That's such a profound comment. A natural disaster, or death of a loved one, remind us that nothing is ours really. As M.S.Subbulakshmi sang in her mellifluous voice,
maa kuru dhana jana youvana garvam
harati nimeshaat kaala sarvam
(all that we pride ourselves on: parents, relatives, money, supporters, youth - will be taken away by time)
Priya.
PLEASE Priya,
May I protest a teeny bit?
While MS has been the vehicle for those lines to reach many of us, can we credit them to Shankara himself? BTW, my fav. from there (off-topic tho it might be) is:
Punarapi jananam punarapi maranam
Punarapi janani jathare shayanam
the cylical repetition does pall
*Sorry about this lil rant* :(
Shankari,
I wasn't sure of who wrote Bhaja Govindam. Glad to know it was Shankara. His words are indeed beautiful.
Thanks for telling me.
Priya.
priya,
thanks!
what u r talking abt is called 'smashaana vairagya' - short lived :)
shankari,
thanks - for the reminder.
sankara, who happens to be single handedly responsible for our cultural revival, is unfortunately a forgotten soul.
your fav lines - i once had to give a 5 min talk on those lines, u know :)
and lemme add my fav - 'naaristana bhara nabhi desham...'
Dharma,
"what u r talking abt is called 'smashaana vairagya' - short lived :)"
I'm not sure what you're referring to - but if it is those of Shankara as applied to ordinary mortals, then yes, it is short-lived :). Most of us go back to treating things as 'ours' and forget that nothing is ours.
But death does leave people numb for a while.
Priya.
Priya,
It is easy to dismiss the guy who has shown much love and appreciation for the girl, gets nothing in return and then complains about that. Yes, of course, he was not selfless. Yes, of course, he must have shown love with some expectation. That doesn't make him or his love something less worthy.
There are times when even parents ask, "I sacrificed so much and brought up my children, but what did I get in return?" Does that mean the parents brought up their children with a hidden selfish motive? Even if the parents did have an expectation that they would be well cared for by their children in their old age, how much of it is selfish (in the negative sense of the word)?
How about the woman who does much for her husband and has expectations of him? Is she being a selfless pativrata? Or is she being just a socially sanctioned kept woman who expects compensation for her services?
In my opinion, "selflessness" and "giving" are often not well understood, wrongly felt and erroneously used. Our elders and teachers, in their enthusiasm to inculcate good morals in us and in their urge to prevent us from growing up into selfish spoilt brats, gave excessive emphasis on giving and sharing and not being selfish. They forgot to balance those lessons, with lessons on how to expect, ask, take, claim, establish a healthy give-and-take within a relationship, and similar hard-nosed practicalities needed for survival.
Selflessness is often a matter of perspective. For the whole nation, Mahatma Gandhi might have been a selfless person who sacrificed his life and personal pleasures for the sake of the country. But for his wife and family, Gandhi might have seemed to be a person who was so self-absorbed in his own opinions and life, he did not care to see what effect and hardships, his so-called selfless acts had on them.
We can have similar arguments for almost every person who claims to be selfless and sacrificing. Even the tree - is it being a giver of gifts because it has no choice? If the tree could run away and protect its fruits and save the seeds to make more trees, would it do that? Or would it stay where it is and offer its fruits to others? Even staying where it is and offering its fruits, is the tree making a sacrifice or is it actually using us as a vehicle for the propagation of its seeds? It's all in perspective.
I'll stop rambling now. :-) Hope things are going well for you. Have a happy Thanksgiving weekend.
Dear Priya,
The concept of emotional affordability is new to me- thank you for that and for the thoughtful and thought-provoking post. It made me think of so many examples in my own life, like once when a friend refused to ask for help from his neighbor because he didn't want to be beholden to the neighbor. In my eyes, he had deprived that neighbor of a chance to be of service. I'll never forget one time when 2 ladies had a car break down in a not-so-great part of town. I asked them if they needed help, and they accepted. I called a car service to come look at the car, and waited with them until they were safely on their way home. I felt, that day, as though I had lived true to my purpose, and it was thanks to those women who allowed me to assist.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Betty
Your post reminds me of this dialogue from an old YGM drama, "Ragasiyam Parama Ragasiyam" where YGM asks a priest what a true Christian means.
Priest: "You have 2 cars. Someone asks you to give him one. Will you give it to him?"
YGM: "O, sure!"
Priest: "You have 2 houses. Someone asks you to give him one. Will you give it to him?"
YGM:"definitely!"
Priest: "You have 2 shirts. Someone asks you to give him one. Will you give it to him?"
YGM: "No! Because I really have 2 shirts!"!!!
'Giving'(and taking!), with my 4 yr old girl, has gone to such heights that from "do this and get this", she now says "what do I get if I do this?"!!!
LL,
That was a very thought-provoking comment. True, the love of the person who shows love and appreciation for a girl is not any less worthy. However, his labeling the girl in negative terms if she doesn't reciprocate in the same way, is erroneous/misguided.
Regarding parents, I had replied to a previous commenter on this. They are an exceptional case, where rejection by their son/daughter hurts due to other reasons.
My post was not about selflessness per se - its just some observations based on how people attach numeric terms to giving, and sometimes use that to tie a person through obligation.
"Our elders and teachers, in their enthusiasm to inculcate good morals in us and in their urge to prevent us from growing up into selfish spoilt brats, gave excessive emphasis on giving and sharing and not being selfish. They forgot to balance those lessons, with lessons on how to expect, ask, take, claim, establish a healthy give-and-take within a relationship, and similar hard-nosed practicalities needed for survival."
Excellent point! This is what makes for confused giving interactions, where a person X doesn't dare to ask for what they want, but does something for another person Y while hoping this would obligate Y to do what X wants from Y in the first place. Arggggh. And if Y doesn't realize this, Y is dubbed ungrateful...
Priya.
Dear Betty,
Thanks for sharing the car breakdown anecdote.
"I felt, that day, as though I had lived true to my purpose, and it was thanks to those women who allowed me to assist"
Well put!
Priya.
Me too,
Your kid is really smart. You have a businesswoman/politician in the making :-)
Priya.
I came across your site by accident & left a message on the shivani story.The sheer delight of reading your articles for its well crafted langauge & emotional outlay made me to read more. This article somehow i find it quite disappointing from a content view point & was in 2 minds to write or not.The Give & Take is a natural act which comes to you from the environment in which you have grown up & is conditioned accordingly.I do know of our relatives who had virtually gifted away almost everything to point of ruin,they were to me heroes from my formative years.Even our mythology character like Karna & Duryodhana shapes our way of life.Following their footsteps was never disappointing to me personally.I still think the character of india esp chennai where i have lived/seen still bounds with tales of personal sacrifice & leadership passed to next generation in acts of generosity & that foundation is laid in the household.I think despite want of western sophistication & crudeness in our habits or in speech when it comes to selflessness we act than talk about it or to publish it in india. When i lived abroad & worked on long projects i could only see disturbed people around & complaining about emotional deficit in personal relationship & trust me all of them are extremely well qualified formally & far more intelligent than normal average indians.but surprisinly they enjoyed high standard of living we enjoyed standard of life.The other thing i observed also as i started my career in 90s to now is also that the material urge seems to takeover more than the idealism urge which perhaps raises the questions your article is exposing.
Neverthe less i really enjoyed reading all your posts.
Anon,
Thank you for reading my posts, and commenting on the same. I appreciate your valuable feedback. Give and take is a fuzzy area - something I am still uncovering. One thing I consciously ask myself when I give is "am I doing this expecting a return?". This way, when I don't get a return I can put it down as a bad investment rather than brood and rue that my 'selflessness' has gone unrewarded.
I am also learning to ask for what I want up front rather than give indirect signals in the "hope" that these will get picked up. That would be a straight road to disappointment....Giving indirect signals is too manipulative, I feel. I have been manipulated like that before - where a return in a certain form was expected and if it didn't come in that form, there was this whole passive control to deal with.
I agree with Libran Lover when he said:
"Our elders and teachers, in their enthusiasm to inculcate good morals in us and in their urge to prevent us from growing up into selfish spoilt brats, gave excessive emphasis on giving and sharing and not being selfish. They forgot to balance those lessons, with lessons on how to expect, ask, take, claim, establish a healthy give-and-take within a relationship, and similar hard-nosed practicalities needed for survival."
Best regards,
Priya.
I really value your comments sincerely & honestly.I was the one who posted that anon comment.I will be honest with you i have never been in a personal relationship with anyone in my life of 37years as a husband/BF so i may be incompetant to talk on that subject between 2 people.
One thing i can certainly talk of with confidence is there is the other relationship with friends,brothers,parents or for that matter my own boss at office.I have found being simple & putting their interests ahead of mine & subordinating my claim has really benefited me a lot.This helps me to approach everything with simplicity & without complications & an element of trust also gets built in.As this becomes a belief it becomes a habit in every association you try to build.There are setbacks but neverthe less we do not allow our inbuilt character built over long time to be changed.
Despite my lack of creativity & imagination this comes back to a cosmic question on give & take where your orientation to a material or idealistic urge becomes important.Absurdity & Irrationality takes over & relegating hard nosed practicality.This to me also improves vastly once own thinking process & tones down one's expectation which then means the upsides are more than downsides.
When i ask finally this question where have i benefited the most in my evolution as a person ( House,parents,school,college,relatives,books,colleagues ,friends ) the answers revolves in your own house for the act of selflessness or selfishness is going to be hatched there.
May be finally i understand dharma & you may have more rich experience than what i may know of till day so i will go by your conclusions. Thanks & we want to see more of your writing anyway.
Post a Comment