Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Chuck de....and let go!

It was one of those Manic Mondays. Started day with a bodyache. Not much enthusiasm for anything. Grit my teeth as I get kid ready for school, patience on edge. Why do kids ask so many questions only when you are tired? Still bleary-eyed when I drive to work. Why do customers have so many problems only today?

Come evening, pick up kid and drive her to her after-school dance lessons. Watch her dance, still barely awake. Aaargh! Stuck in traffic now - and it is barely moving. Kid is hungry, I'm hungry and I've to make dinner. Come on traffic move move move.

Decide to switch on the CD player - just bought a new CD over the weekend, so why not?

chuck de chuck de chuck de
chuck de saare ghum
chuck de chuck de chuck de
tere sung hum....


Ha! Nice......Find myself smiling. Start unconsciously swaying to the beat and clapping. Tap the steering wheel, clap hands against thighs, and clap them together again, snap my fingers....Glance casually at next lane. Guy in the car there smiles, nods at me and claps, half mockingly - swaying slightly like me. So I smile back, turn towards him, sway, clap and snap my fingers even more. Guy laughs, openmouthed with surprise, and a moment later, sways to my rhythm. Here we were, two strangers in the middle of traffic, swaying in unison to a Bollywood song (which he couldn't even hear). Who'd have thought? Two minutes of joyful abandon, and the light changes to green. I give the man a mini ta-ta and drive off......Don't know who he is, but who cares? Find myself smiling after that. Race home still dancing from the parking lot, up the stairs, finish dance with a flourish taking off my jacket and swinging it above head before casting it aside. Kid is surprised, but so what? Just chuck de and let go!

Thanks, guy-in-next-lane, whoever you are, for that spontaneous fun moment.

No comments: